How not being able to edit your message if someone already replied to it

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Darloup
Name: Henry

How not being able to edit your message if someone already replied to it

Post by Darloup »

Hello,

Under my old forum 3.0.x, I had a facility where members could not edit their messages if someone had already posted a reply.

Under 3.1.x, I can set a time limit for members to edit their messages (I think the default is 120 minutes), but I'd like to change it so that, if anyone replies to their messages, they can't edit their last message (even though it can be within the 120 minutes time limit).

In other words, the 120 minutes time limit would be overridden by the fact that someone had replied to their last message - which makes sense to me!

I managed to do this under my 3.0.x forum but, to be honest, I can't remember how I did it - whether by modifications of some core files or through a MOD).

Now, I was recently advised here by david63 that, owing the new architecture of phpBB 3.1.x
is not recommended that you change core files but make any changes by using extensions, that way updating/upgrading is easier. (...) be aware that you may have to reapply such changes when you update.
So what do you recommend I do so that I implement this change?

Regards,

Henry
MarkDHamill

Re: How not being able to edit your message if someone already replied to it

Post by MarkDHamill »

I don't see a column in the phpbb_posts table that indicates what post a post is in reply to within the topic. For each topic, it is tracked when the last post was made, see the topic_last_post_time column. The only way I can see to detect if there are new replies is to grab this value when the user hits the reply button and check to see if it has changed on post submittal, and if different give an appropriate message. This of course would require an extension.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
Darloup

Post by Darloup »

Hello MarkDHamill and thanks for your detailed reply.
I don't see a column in the phpbb_posts table that indicates what post a post is in reply to within the topic. For each topic, it is tracked when the last post was made, see the topic_last_post_time column. The only way I can see to detect if there are new replies is to grab this value when the user hits the reply button and check to see if it has changed on post submittal, and if different give an appropriate message. This of course would require an extension.
OK, I'll request an extension then!

Regards,

Henry
Darloup

Post by Darloup »

Hello,

I'm bumping this thread because I'm still desperately looking for an extension which would prohibit the edition of any message if a reply (or replies) had been posted.

The default setting would be that a user could edit all their last messages if they wished to, but this feature would be disabled if someone had already replied to it/them.

With my anticipated thanks!

Henry
Darloup

Post by Darloup »

Hello,

Everything is solved! I found this extension on kasimi's board www.kasimi.net.

Regards,

Henry

Return to “Extension Requests”