Schedule topics

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
Matthew_Greg

Schedule topics

Post by Matthew_Greg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 am

Hi, it would be really nice if something like this existed for PhpBB3. :)

abr_78

Re: Schedule topics

Post by abr_78 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 pm

I agree. Configurable for Admin and Moderator roles.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:56 pm

what does "schedule topics" even mean?

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:28 pm

You can write topics / post that will be available to the "public" at a defined date and time. Like in Wordpress, where you can write articles now and publish them at a predefined time in a near or far future without any extra manual action.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

martinlu
Name: Martin L

Post by martinlu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:40 am

Hi all,

did anybody find a solution or extension for this yet?

I searched at least for 1-1.5 hours online now, but can't find an extension or other option that makes topic/post scheduling possible. Scheduled posts in Wordpress is such a neat feature. I just posted another topic in the "Extension request forum", viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2417826.

Martin

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I would think that the best thing would be to use wordpress or some other content management software. the reason you can't find anything about doing it with phpbb is probably becuase nobody ever thought of anything like this for a bulletin board/discussion software before. phpbb is not a CMS.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

pierredu

Post by pierredu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 pm

On the other hand, I think this is an interesting point of view on how we manage posts and topics in phpBB. How could one manage this feature of posts/topics to be published at a later date? Drafts with a scheduled time/date in the future (something to be created and managed)? Which become normal posts/topics when the date is due? Who would manage the task? A cron job?

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Use the submit_post function with a date in the future or code an IF statement that surronds your submit_post function, once the condition has been satisfied it gets executed. ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

martinlu

Post by martinlu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:59 pm
I would think that the best thing would be to use wordpress or some other content management software. the reason you can't find anything about doing it with phpbb is probably becuase nobody ever thought of anything like this for a bulletin board/discussion software before. phpbb is not a CMS.
robert
thanks, I'm well aware that phpbb is not a CMS, like wordpress etc. ... it just surprises me that only a few people were asking for something like this, as phpbb seems to be so widely used for a broad range of purposes.

There are various wordpress plugins that seem to enable a cross-platform user-login mirroring, but the majority of them are out of date and don't seem to offer a posting option. That's what I saw now when going through the wordpress plugin depository.

Martin
Last edited by martinlu on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

martinlu

Post by martinlu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:37 pm

pierredu wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 pm
On the other hand, I think this is an interesting point of view on how we manage posts and topics in phpBB. How could one manage this feature of posts/topics to be published at a later date? Drafts with a scheduled time/date in the future (something to be created and managed)? Which become normal posts/topics when the date is due? Who would manage the task? A cron job?
Thanks pierredu, for putting in some thought.

That's sounds exactly like something some of the users and myself are looking for.

Would it be possible to create a "Submit later" functionality / button, beside the "save draft" - "preview" - "submit" buttons?

I mentioned this issue to a client of mine who works for a multinational IT company and he mentioned a "cron job" as well. I will have to look into that, as I don't know what a "cron job" is. I remember coming across it before. Is it a bit of code that runs on a regular basis and is executed on your server, saw it somewhere in my Cpanel menu.

PS (I'm not a programmer/developer "anymore", even if I worked until 2002 in hard/software development, meaning I can find my way around a bit of HTML mark-up, php, C or C++ etc., but just that basic stuff, as I didn't do any developing work since 2002).

martinlu

Post by martinlu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks 3Di, that gave me a first hint what to look for.
3Di wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 pm
Use the submit_post function with a date in the future or code an IF statement that surrounds your submit_post function, once the condition has been satisfied it gets executed. ;)
Here some related information I found, I understand bits of it, but I wouldn't be able to set all that up myself yet. Lots to learn here. :D :roll:

https://wiki.phpbb.com/Using_phpBB3's_Basic_Functions
1.4.7. Inserting Posts and Private Messages search for "submit_post"

This is in German (which I can read/understand) but the actual code is in English, this solution seems to work for him. He mentions a Cron job as well. https://developer-blog.net/phpbb-automa ... s-mit-php/

Create post in phpBB by script
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3168 ... -by-script
( The mode (first parameter of submit_post()) should be reply for replies, and post for new topics !!! )

2 Questions about Function.submit_post - included Time/Stamp related stuff
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2309356

Martin

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:50 am

Martin, I am proud of you. :)

You did use the search function as its best (note: everybody should do that before to ask) and not only, you stated you are not involved about coding since 15 years ago and nonetheless you got it. I mean you focused that trick, right or wrong.

There are two situations:
1 - to make a stand-alone script.
2 - to make of all of this an extension with a nice UI interface. ;)

Those links are a bit outdated (especially the German one, I do speak German too), some evolution about submit_post between 3.0 and 3.1 happened for the good. There are backward compatibilities at some point as well for 3.2. But's another story.

Good news is you don't need a cron job at all (with events) if you have at least ONE visitor (also a guest) at your board on a daily basis, do you? Else the post will be posted once the first visitor will visit your board.

For example: (the IF isn't enough, just you to know)

Code: Select all

if ( time() >= MY_TIME_UNIX_TIMESTAMP )
{
	// my submit_post magic goes here)
}
Automatically the submit_post function will post your /topic with the timestamp triggered by your first visitor. If your first visitor comes after three months (unlikely to happens, isn't?), well, all has been said.

While you got the point, I have to say that isn't such an easy task to create the option 1 or 2 if you don't really know how the core code works, too many factors are involved.

Btw, the submit_post function offers more than just the 'post' and 'reply' modes, can be post, edit, reply, or delete. See: https://wiki.phpbb.com/Function.submit_post (old article, but's related).

I believe also that other factors aren't covered by this post of mine, written on the fly.

Regards.

javiexin
Code Contributor
Name: Javier

Post by javiexin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm

I might try to adapt and extend my Change Post Time extension to also cover scheduled posting.

Will look into It. Probably, i would use a phpBB cron task to post, as the behavior is almost exactly as described by 3Di.

Stay tuned...
-javiexin

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:40 pm

javiexin wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm
I might try to adapt and extend my Change Post Time extension to also cover scheduled posting.

Will look into It. Probably, i would use a phpBB cron task to post, as the behavior is almost exactly as described by 3Di.

Stay tuned...
-javiexin
And you'll get a winner, in case. :)

My 2 cents.
No cron job if you hook the core.user_setup event with an IF like the above, no queries involved, just a check done via PHP for the TIMESTAMP. More accurate than a cron job, it just uses the first incoming session. I am using this method for The Receptionist, btw.

Regards.

martinlu

Post by martinlu » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:19 pm

javiexin wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Stay tuned...
-javiexin
Thanks Javlexin - that sounds interesting, I will have a look at your "Change Post Time" extension.

Return to “Extension Requests”