Stop new users posting URLs

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
Dragonwolf

Stop new users posting URLs

Post by Dragonwolf » Sun May 01, 2016 4:11 pm

If someone could do this it would make my forum awsome! There was a mod like this for 3.0 that basically stopped spam dead by taking away their reason to spam - posting URLs. No matter what many people say, Captchas don't really do a damn thing to stop spam because most have already been broken by spammers. They might take the edge off, sure, but the real thing that stops them cold is preventing them from posting any post with a link until they have a few posts. New users just don't tend to just show up and start posting URLs, so this method, in combo with a good blacklist, stops almost 100% of spammers. The only ones who tend to be left are the human spammers who come in, act awkward and then just give up. :D Seriously, on my old 3.0 forum there is no spam. There used to be twenty or more spam topics a day, now I get one about once a year, if that.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Stop new users posting URLs

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun May 01, 2016 4:27 pm

the trick is to stop them from registering in the first place. the built in Q&A does that nicely.
choose a question that the answer can not be found on google. choose something that is relevant to your board.

once you have that setup you will get no more bots registering so that will only leave the humans and you can stop them with a first post approval setting and not allowing guest posting.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

travel

Post by travel » Sun May 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Sun May 01, 2016 6:57 pm

You should also have a read at the following topic:
Preventing spam on phpBB

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Dragonwolf

Post by Dragonwolf » Mon May 02, 2016 11:47 am

Preventing registration does help, yes, but it doesn't stop them totally. I've had all kinds of capatchas and questions on my forum since I started it in 2007, but none of them worked as well as taking away the spammer's reason to post. Human spammers are more common than you might think, and registration tricks don't stop them. However, this does.

Also, I think that PHPbbs anti spam topic is a little out of date since we are talking about 3.1 and that deals with 3.0. None of the mods mentioned will work on my new forum.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Mon May 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Dragonwolf wrote: Also, I think that PHPbbs anti spam topic is a little out of date since we are talking about 3.1 and that deals with 3.0. None of the mods mentioned will work on my new forum.
The only MOD that it says you need is the sortable CAPTCHA one which, with a little of search, can be found as an extension to work with phpBB 3.1 here.

The rest can still be done with your phpBB 3.1 version.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon May 02, 2016 4:37 pm

basically you have two types of spammers. bots and humans.

the Q&A with a good question will stop 100% of the bots at least until your question is solved by a human and put on the list for the bots . then you have to change to a new question.

for the few humans that sign up just to spam, you have to get rid of them manually. having to approve the first post will help keep them off the board until you can check them.

If the Q&A was not working for the bots, then your question was too easy.

you can't use any kind of multiple choice, no math questions, no "what color" questions, no "middle three letters" questions, no upper case letter questions, etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:17 am

https://github.com/rmcgirr83/authorizedforurls

Will stop in posting, but not in signatures or pms as events are missing which I have requested to be added.

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4314
and
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4316

If you want to use the extension on your current forum you must delete the ext.php file from the download otherwise that file will not allow you to install the extension as it is set for 3.1.10-RC1.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Return to “Extension Requests”