Is there a way to upgrade to 3.1 with PhpBB SEO ?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
ettarus

Is there a way to upgrade to 3.1 with PhpBB SEO ?

Post by ettarus »

Hi there!
I have a PhpBB Forum 3.013-PL1 with PhpBB SEO; is there a way to upgrade to PhpBB 3.1 with PhpBB SEO?

Thank you very much!
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Is there a way to upgrade to 3.1 with PhpBB SEO ?

Post by JimA »

No, you can't keep that modification, since all modifications that are used in phpBB 3.0 will become useless in phpBB 3.1. You need to replace them with extensions, and as far as I know, phpBB-SEO has not released an extension version of their MOD.

There is however another extension in development (early stages, so not something to use at a live board!) that you could keep an eye at for in the future: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2288486
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
ettarus

Post by ettarus »

Hi JimA, thank you for your reply!

Unfortunatly as I thought then... :(

Thank you very much!
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Generally speaking you really don't need any SEO mods (oops extensions) in 3.1. Rewriting URLs does not count for much these days from what I can tell.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

It's one big MOD. You can use the Support Toolkit to clean your database of none-phpbb3 tables and replace all files with fresh 3.013-PL1 files except config.php to update to 3.0.14 and see if all runs smooth before upgrading to 3.1 but as JimA said, the forum will not carry over the old seo URL's.
ettarus

Post by ettarus »

Peter77sx wrote:...but as JimA said, the forum will not carry over the old seo URL's.
Unfortunatly this is a very BIG problem.
My forum has about 10.000 indexed pages and very well positioned in the search engines; changing the url inevitably lose the positioning and it would be a very BIG disaster! :o :o

In the future someone will think to PHPBB SEO poor users who want to upgrade? :roll:
david63

Post by david63 »

ettarus wrote:In the future someone will think to PHPBB SEO poor users who want to upgrade?
phpBB SEO is nothing to do with phpBB and from what I have heard the phpBB SEO people currently have no intention of porting their MOD to an extension
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Sajaki

Post by Sajaki »

david63 wrote:
ettarus wrote:In the future someone will think to PHPBB SEO poor users who want to upgrade?
phpBB SEO is nothing to do with phpBB and from what I have heard the phpBB SEO people currently have no intention of porting their MOD to an extension
there is an extension in the works it seems. https://github.com/phpBBSEO/usu
david63

Post by david63 »

Sajaki wrote:there is an extension in the works it seems.
I am fairly sure that I have read of people having problems with that extension which, incidentally, is over two years old.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

ettarus wrote:
Peter77sx wrote:...but as JimA said, the forum will not carry over the old seo URL's.
Unfortunatly this is a very BIG problem.
My forum has about 10.000 indexed pages and very well positioned in the search engines; changing the url inevitably lose the positioning and it would be a very BIG disaster! :o :o
3.1 sets Canonical URL's in Meta tags. If you have that much faith in SEO, you'll know search engines basically will treat it as 301's. May be bit messy, initially, with user experience but not as big disaster as you might think.
ettarus

Post by ettarus »

I would like to avoid changing the url if possible; even if your idea can be a solution, there is always some risk.

I hope in the extension that says Sajaki!

Return to “Extension Requests”