Some Spam Control Features Wanted

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
rAdic

Some Spam Control Features Wanted

Post by rAdic »

Does anyone know if there is a similar extension to "disallow_links_before_x_posts" that I used for 3.0+?

I could put a number in like "10" so new members had to have 10 posts before they could put links in their posts. This was great for opening registration while stopping spam at the same time.

I would also like to disable a sig until a certain number of posts and also disable having a profile URL that shows up in the member page for new members.

Are there ways to do these things in 3.1 or other extensions that do similar things?
The Australian Forums - Australia Discussion Forum - Discuss Australia topics or generally anything
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Re: Some Spam Control Features Wanted

Post by bonelifer »

I like the idea of blocking links for x-amount of posts. I wouldn't completely block them from "posting". I'd say such an extension should send any post that has a link in it to Mod Queue till said user has X posts approved. We've had such a spammer recently here. Their first post was completely sane, and looked like it came from a new user. They didn't post again for 20-25 days, when they did it was obvious spam. So having a separate X posts to queue till X posts approved that was separate from the NRU would be nice.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
rAdic

Post by rAdic »

yeah that sounds like some good points. I would also prefer the post is not deleted, maybe an error message so they could edit it and take out the link etc would work.

I find a lot of members just register, don't post and then on further inspection you see their aim was just to get a free link on the members page as is demonstrated right here: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=c&sd=d#memberlist
The Australian Forums - Australia Discussion Forum - Discuss Australia topics or generally anything
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

The member list by default requires a user to login before they can see it. By default it's not crawlable by search engines.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
rAdic

Post by rAdic »

OK I did not realize that so I guess it's not a big issue. Would be still good to know how to stop links in a users post until they reach a certain post member level?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I believe that mod simply disallows the hot linking of the url. A user could still type the text of the url. (eg likehttp://phpbb.com instead of http://phpbb.com).

I have an extension in development that is waiting for 3.1.10 to be released (and the only reason for that is for this event).

It should work on 3.1.9 even without that commit (version constraint would have to be changed in the ext.php file of the repo). It is in dev so you are warned that it hasn't been validated. Use at your own risk if you dare. :twisted:
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

bonelifer wrote:I'd say such an extension should send any post that has a link in it to Mod Queue till said user has X posts approved.

+1
I would prefer that to the standard all newly registered user posts needing approval.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rAdic

Post by rAdic »

RMcGirr83 wrote: It should work on 3.1.9 even without that commit (version constraint would have to be changed in the ext.php file of the repo). It is in dev so you are warned that it hasn't been validated. Use at your own risk if you dare. :twisted:
that looks great and could be just what is needed but I'm not sure what this all means, if I install it is there anything I will need to edit or change by using it with the current phpbb?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

You would just need to change this line in the ext.php file of the download

https://github.com/rmcgirr83/authorized ... xt.php#L27

return phpbb_version_compare($config['version'], '3.1.10-RC1', '>=');

to this

return phpbb_version_compare($config['version'], '3.1.9', '>=');
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
rAdic

Post by rAdic »

Thanks, I will try this shortly. if you don't hear back it went well :D

Return to “Extension Requests”