Subforums in columns

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
Gumboots

Re: Subforums in columns

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Mannix_ wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:29 pm
webants wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:19 pm
that ext above is for image alone right? not to make forums display as columns?
yeah sorry I miss read what was it try this viewtopic.php?p=13713326#p13713326
The OP there says that one is unstable and is for testing only. Look, I realise extensions for anything as trivial as scratching your backside are supposed to be sacred, but this is a few lines of CSS. There comes a point where you might as well do it the easy way.

webants

Post by webants » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:43 pm

www.klassiekerplein.nl

it might be because i want it to work for forums below the categories.. instead of subforums

the index page is toooo long, showing the forums in 2 columns underneah the categories would save a lot of scrolling :twisted:

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Gumboots wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm
Look, I realise extensions for anything as trivial as scratching your backside are supposed to be sacred, but this is a few lines of CSS. There comes a point where you might as well do it the easy way.
Yes but with every phpbb update you will have to repeat those changes that's why extensions are better way to go.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Want me to port a style to 3.2.x etc. contact me here or on twitter.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Ok, we seem to have a communication problem. What, exactly, are you trying to achieve? What do you mean by "forums below the categories"? All forums are inside categories, not below them. Are you talking about subforums, as displayed on the main forum page? Or about something else?

If necessary, use screenshots with arrows on them. ;)

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Mannix_ wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm
Gumboots wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm
Look, I realise extensions for anything as trivial as scratching your backside are supposed to be sacred, but this is a few lines of CSS. There comes a point where you might as well do it the easy way.
Yes but with every phpbb update you will have to repeat those changes that's why extensions are better way to go.
Yeah, in theory, but that extension is still unstable, so...

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 pm

webants wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:43 pm
www.klassiekerplein.nl

it might be because i want it to work for forums below the categories.. instead of subforums

the index page is toooo long, showing the forums in 2 columns underneah the categories would save a lot of scrolling :twisted:
Oh ok. I get it now. You're not talking about subforums at all. You want all your top level forums to display in two columns. That's a completely different thing.

You don't want two columns below the categories. You want two columns inside each category. That can be done, but due to the way phpBB does markup for top level boards it's going to be a bit of a nuisance. Can still be done though. It's just a bit more work.

Now at this point someone is going to insist you need an extension, so if you can get one that's fine. If you can't, I'll tell you how to do it without one. :D

webants

Post by webants » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04 pm

i mean i have categories on the index page.. algemeen, car A Car B etc

underneath you have the car makes with images.. i want those in 2 columns to save space

webants

Post by webants » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:05 pm

hahaha some code to make the forums underneath the categories show in 2 columns would be welcome lol

if that is possible

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Anything is possible. Ok, so are you saying you want the boards to be two columns within each category? Or are you saying you want each category to be 50% wide?

Either is possible. But, you are going to run into problems with arranging content on narrow screens. You will have to decide how you want to display all components, on wide screens and on narrow ones. In other words, you have to design your own custom template.

I suggest you start cutting and pasting pieces of screenshot in an image editor. Once you have figured it out, and made mocked-up screenshots so I can tell exactly what you want to do, then I can tell you how to code it.

webants

Post by webants » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

i wan this grid style, i had the milk theme before but it was to messy withdifferent extensions so i use pro silver dark now

http://planetstyles.net/demo/milk/3.2/2/#

i dont need the images on top in that grid style though..

Does that help?

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 pm

Ok, I'll have a play around with it. Might take a day or two.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 pm

By the way: you do realise it is going to have problems with the numbers of forums not being divisible by the number of columns? If you want three columns, then it will only look really good if you have 3, 6 9, etc forums. If you have 7, there will be one stray one left over in the last row. Same if you have two columns. Have you considered that?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:21 am

I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am

Extension Version:: 2.0.0 (unstable)

Precaution: As the ext is still in development, major changes still can be applied which could require full extension purging and reinstallation, so use it on your own risk. DO NOT install it on production boards. For testing purposes only.
Define "already done".

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:44 am

already been created and is apparently working on other bnoards if you read the posts at that topic. the only posts that seem to be having problems are the ones that can't find it in their admin panel.
I have not tested it myself.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “Extension Requests”