phpBB mobile app

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
potku

phpBB mobile app

Post by potku »

This topic has been discussed, but I thought I'd start a new topic, because the other topics didn't really fully cover what I am after. Please, feel free to merge this with an older topic, if I am mistaken. :)

Also, I am not really asking for an EXT, but I just couldn't think of a better forum for this.

Tapatalk, as many of you know, is devil's work. Those guys should be whipped. So, Tapatalk is definitely NOT the answer to what I am asking here.

As far as I know, there is no way for phpBB to send notifications to one's phone. That's kind of a separate topic, and there is a WhatsApp EXT in the works. However, since many people - God bless them - do use Tapatalk, something similar might be useful for phpBB. What should that app do that phpBB doesn't do already? Well, it could just be an app that is there for phpBB boards. Instead of using a mobile browser to go to a phpBB board, the app would be a direct way to access one's favorite phpBB boards.

Like I said, I am not really asking for an EXT. I just thought I'd bring this up. If not for anything else, someone could tell me why this is an impossible or a useless idea. :D
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
david63

Re: phpBB mobile app

Post by david63 »

Whilst I would not disagree with your assessment of Tapatalk, even though I have not [yet] had any issues with it on my site, I think that one of the main reasons that people like to use it is that they can access many fora from it rather than going to a different app for each one.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
potku

Post by potku »

That is exactly it. And I know we have lost users because of that. I talked to one such user a couple of weeks ago. We tried to install that God-awful EXT while migrating to phpBB 3.1, and it totally broke our board. But I don't want it anyway due to its security and other issues, so that's that for Tapatalk.

Something similar for phpBB would be nice, even if it would be just one board.

If that WhatsApp EXT takes off, that would be one solution. Not everyone uses WhatsApp, though, but many do.
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx
Guybor

Post by Guybor »

We were just having this exact discussion on a board I admin. We have seen our posting volume go down while we are seeing the posting on our Facebook group go up. The problem with the FB group is that you can't have the same security and permissions as you can with the forum. Some of the "youngsters" that we spoke with said they post on FB because it's quicker and easier...especially for posting photos.

So....I too would be interested in some way of making the forum browsing "easier" and "newer".
aleha
Code Contributor

Post by aleha »

Guybor wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 am We were just having this exact discussion on a board I admin. We have seen our posting volume go down while we are seeing the posting on our Facebook group go up. The problem with the FB group is that you can't have the same security and permissions as you can with the forum. Some of the "youngsters" that we spoke with said they post on FB because it's quicker and easier...especially for posting photos.

So....I too would be interested in some way of making the forum browsing "easier" and "newer".
While I've seen the exact same thing affecting quite a few boards in an ongoing fashion, I would give the next two features a higher priority in an effort to beat that effect.

1) A new and modern theme that would make the whole phpBB experience better.
2) An API. That might implicitly solve the application issue, as it should be possible for anyone to write an app, any app in fact.

I suspect that both of them will appear as an RFC for 3.3.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

potku wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:12 amTapatalk, as many of you know, is devil's work. Those guys should be whipped. So, Tapatalk is definitely NOT the answer to what I am asking here.
I agree 100%. Tapatalk blows monkey balls. I've taken it off all but one of my forums because it's the only reason it's still so active. Sadly.
potku wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:12 amAs far as I know, there is no way for phpBB to send notifications to one's phone. That's kind of a separate topic, and there is a WhatsApp EXT in the works. However, since many people - God bless them - do use Tapatalk, something similar might be useful for phpBB. What should that app do that phpBB doesn't do already? Well, it could just be an app that is there for phpBB boards. Instead of using a mobile browser to go to a phpBB board, the app would be a direct way to access one's favorite phpBB boards...
I would love for phpBB to do a lot more. It's good from a functional bulletin board viewpoint, but as for a modern day community discussion platform it's not keeping up. Look how hard it is for an admin to change the default logo. Look how much effort is required for each admin to stop spam. Updates could be easier (ala Wordpress). the default phpBB should automatically resize avatars, etc. I could go on and on.

The reality is that phpBB will never have all the latest and best features. With that said, I would like to see a way for my forums to send mobile notifications. I don't know if it can be done with some kind of generic phpBB app, or done using the native browser, who knows. I've actually "hacked" my forum to default to send email notifications when people post new topics. It's not a mobile notification but it emails them (unless they uncheck the box).

I hate to say it but even though I hate Tapatalk 100% I think it really is the best option on the market. What makes it especially good is the end user doesn't need to care or know about what platform the forum is running. Photo attachments are stupid easy, etc. Tapatalk is actually not bad from a user point of view. As an admin, UGH!!!
potku

Post by potku »

Although I do not know what the devs of phpBB are planning, I would think they might be working on ideas on how to make phpBB more modern in this aspect, too. Just looking at this board running phpBB 3.2, progress can be observed. I have faith in them. :)

From a user point of view, Tapatalk's one major drawback is customized BBCode. Tapatalk cannot handle them. Yet, phpBB is able to handle Tapatalk's smilies, for example, that do not exist in phpBB smilie library. That's nicely done by phpBB, but Tapatalk should be able to do the same.
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could also try coding your own app, there's plenty of information how to do it including ways without any coding knowledge.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Nerox9

Post by Nerox9 »

Yes that would be great.
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

While people like apps I try to encourage my members to use a browser

I have tapatalk and I hate the thing but I get a fair few members from it! Tapatalk it pretty limited in what you can do

Using the forum through a browser brings a whole lot more to the user and I think it works great

The only thing I would say phpBB is missing for mobile users is the ability to upload a picture easily from a mobile device! while it is easy to do admins set size limits on uploads and mobile pics regularly exceed these sizes!

So with that in mind the ability to have images automatically resized would be a good leap forward for mobile users
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pm I try to encourage my members to use a browser
Bravo!
sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pmSo with that in mind the ability to have images automatically resized would be a good leap forward for mobile users
There may be an extension for that, have a look but if not you should make an extension request.
    " - Harmony Cobel
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

Mick wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:00 pm
sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pmSo with that in mind the ability to have images automatically resized would be a good leap forward for mobile users
There may be an extension for that, have a look but if not you should make an extension request.
I can't say I have seen one but yes maybe the extension request is the way to go

It would be nice as a feature of the core phpBB and not to rely on an extension author to make and support it

Moving forward for the future features like this should become a standard and be included with the software as extension authors don't always stick around and keep up with the support

But anyway that is a whole new discussion
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 pmMoving forward for the future features like this should become a standard and be included with the software as extension authors don't always stick around and keep up with the support
Again, it's no good just making comments in posts about what you'd like and expecting someone to request it for you. You can make your own feature requests at area51.
    " - Harmony Cobel
ViolaF
I've Been Banned!

Post by ViolaF »

may i get wrong, but prosilver is already responsive, or?
so why a mobile app? hm, i dont get it..
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

ViolaF wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:45 pm may i get wrong, but prosilver is already responsive, or?
so why a mobile app? hm, i dont get it..
Yep default phpBB install looks pretty good on a mobile browser. The point of the app is to push notifications right on the mobile device, thereby getting people back to the forum frequently.

Return to “Extension Requests”