Marketplace extension

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
espen83

Marketplace extension

Post by espen83 »

A lot of forums are dedicated to hobbies which involves trading/selling etc so a dedicated marketplace with the possibility of paypal integration would be nice to see.

What i would like to see in such an extension.

A link on the very top of the forum next to the FAQ that says market which enables a drop down menu of the different categories in the market (which can be set in the admin panel) and a marketplace settings link at the very bottom of said menu from which you can make new listings and all that good stuff. Alternatively the "market link" could just direct you to the market section with all the needed bells and whistles.

The extension itself could have the option of showing items from the market below the header or wherever the forum owner would like (similar to gallery mods in prior phpbb versions), items that could be shown here could be newly listed, popular or maybe even featured etc. It should have a feedback system to judge sellers/buyers trustworthiness. The market it self could have a grid-type layout.

I realize that this is just a shot in the dark as it would be a time consuming extension to create, but i just thought i'd throw it out there as i have been trying to find such a marketplace for my forum for some time now with mixed results.

With limited funds and knowledge about webdesign, php and all that good stuff i'm very limited in what i'm able to do. I did at one point Install and integrate into my forum an external php auction script via rss using custom code, which seemed like a good idea, only that it being a separate system with it's own database and user logins created a headache as soon as anything updated on the server side or even when phpbb updated so i just had to discard it after a while.

The lack of such an extension has created an interesting scenario where shady actors are taking advantage of the situation.. having looked everywhere for a solution i've come across paid services that host the marketplace externally on their own platform, just linking your forum up to their "award winning" marketplace platform and then charging you a 6.5% fee on every transaction. You provide the users, the traffic etc, they rake inn all the profits.. a very bad deal indeed... Especially considering that it's not really that heavy or costly coding that is required to make such a system. Another example is a marketplace where i first have to purchase a theme which includes the option to purchase additional extensions which you cant even have a look at before buying the theme.. I can only imagine the headache of updating such a theme when phpbb gets an update.

So yeah.. a Marketplace extension would be sweet.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Marketplace extension

Post by Mick »

TL;DR - This is my personal opinion, an online market place, shopping cart, shop, whatever, where you're taking and storing personal details is a huge job in itself with security being what it is, and so it should be. An extension I think would be a massive undertaking but you never know ;)

There are other options out there but none that I know of can be integrated with phpBB.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
espen83

Post by espen83 »

There is as i said one market that can be integrated with phpbb, but it's for a paid theme and it looks to be made primarily for downloads... so it can be done.

I don't see how one would need to go outside of the phpbb framework in order to create such an extension. There isn't much need to store personal information if the users have paypal etc.
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

ok so what about classifieds, yes you store data but nothing sensitive like bank or payment details. there just nothing out there that i can see.... :cry:

i have come across this for a car website but the phpbb looks ancient.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... ?type=cars

Is there nothing available?
:::EARLYBAY::: for fans of low light vans, 1967-1972
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I am not sure why you need a discussion /bulletin board to integrate with your shopping cart program.

I would just find a shopping cart script that you like, install it along with your bullentin board.
link them back to each other if you need to and you are done.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
espen83

Post by espen83 »

johnnytype2 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm ok so what about classifieds, yes you store data but nothing sensitive like bank or payment details. there just nothing out there that i can see.... :cry:

i have come across this for a car website but the phpbb looks ancient.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... ?type=cars

Is there nothing available?
Doesn't seem like it. As i've said in my original post.. the only types i've come across does either force you to install a theme or one that just updates some files on your end and then links you to an external marketplace where they charge a hefty fee for pretty much not doing anything.

Only thing we can do is to make the extension developers know that there is an interest for such an extension i guess...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The 'developers' will be aware, this topic is in the extension requests forum.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

Mick wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:58 am The 'developers' will be aware, this topic is in the extension requests forum.
great

id happily pay a premium for a decent offering but would have to be an extension based on prosilver
espen83

Post by espen83 »

Mick wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:58 am The 'developers' will be aware, this topic is in the extension requests forum.
Well duh, but also keeping the topic alive etc.
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:05 pm I am not sure why you need a discussion /bulletin board to integrate with your shopping cart program.

I would just find a shopping cart script that you like, install it along with your bullentin board.
link them back to each other if you need to and you are done.

robert
your missing the point... completely, its not a shopping cart its more and car boot sale, auto jumble like the one i have posted, forum members should be able to post forsale. This is not an extension that would need to take payments.just act as a classifieds
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well, if it just needs to be able to list items for sale then the standard phpbb will be just fine for that.

create a for sale forum, let members create a for sale topic and let them post back and forth about the items for sale.

if you need forms for the listing etc. use the page extension to create custom pages with forms,
or
there is also an extension called support ticket assistant that I am pretty sure works on 3.2
It allows you to create a form in the first post in a particular forum that the seller can fill out etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
espen83

Post by espen83 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 pm well, if it just needs to be able to list items for sale then the standard phpbb will be just fine for that.
That's just your opinion.
espen83

Post by espen83 »

Big fat bump
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 pm well, if it just needs to be able to list items for sale then the standard phpbb will be just fine for that.

create a for sale forum, let members create a for sale topic and let them post back and forth about the items for sale.

if you need forms for the listing etc. use the page extension to create custom pages with forms,
or
there is also an extension called support ticket assistant that I am pretty sure works on 3.2
It allows you to create a form in the first post in a particular forum that the seller can fill out etc.

robert
not reall y what is required. Im not a coder but it seems so simple. an extension with a number of fields and image gallery that the poster can lock when sold etc. The previous one ive posted is ancient, i think it might be bespoke as ive never seen anything like it anywhere else.

theres a page extension that allows you to place a page and link with a heading at the top of the forum but does phpbb allow the use of eternal scripts inside a phpbb wrapper. Ive seen some scripts but they dont do a generic job, they are specific to hotel rooms yachts etc...

quite frustrating. like i sia d id happily pay a premium for this.
david63

Post by david63 »

johnnytype2 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 am Im not a coder but it seems so simple. an extension with a number of fields and image gallery that the poster can lock when sold etc.
I am a coder and I can assure that it is not "simple". Not only that but such an extension will probably be quite time consuming and unless there is an extension developer with an interest in such an extension (or they have plenty of spare time on their hands) it is not something I can see happening in the short term.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “Extension Requests”