Dice Roller

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
zorni

Dice Roller

Post by zorni »

Happy Easter everyone ;)

We're running a big pen&paper rpg board, which atm is at boardversion 3.0.x

Currently we're working on a conversion to 3.2

One of our most loved and used features of our users is the dice roller. We use this one atm: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1816135

Unfortunately it's marked as ABD, and the creator wasn't online for years now.

Thats why I wanna ask here - may there is a coder, who's interested to make this mod work with 3.2?

I searched the whole web for working alternatives, but wasn't able to find even one. Just tons of requests for a mod like this.

Thanks in advance,

Oli
wargames

Re: Dice Roller

Post by wargames »

I would love there to be a dice roller for 3.2 I did use fancydice for 3.1 but the author has said he has no intent on upgrading to 3.2
wargames

Post by wargames »

I would love there to be a dice roller for 3.2 I did use fancydice for 3.1 but the author has said he has no intent on upgrading to 3.2
zorni

Post by zorni »

Unfortunately no modder feedbacks so far. Anyone knows a working alternative?
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Sadly, not yet. I have been talking to somebody to look at making fancy dice roller compatible with 3.2, but he had no time until now...
wargames

Post by wargames »

i rolled back to 3.1 because I have a need for a dice roller.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Sadly I'm not updating to 3.2 while waiting for an upgrade to fancy dice roller...
RiTz21

Post by RiTz21 »

I am also looking for a Dice roller for my users - We used to use the DiceMod roller, but after upgrading to 3.2.1, this ain't no option anymore.

So an extension to roll dice (and prevent cheating + keep results in a database) would be awesome for PHPBB 3.2 !!

If that is not coming, I am looking for an alternative: I could *host* a dice roller on my server - but I've not the know-how on how to build such a tool... Anyone knows if a package to do so exists somewhere?

THANKS!
RiTz21
Ger

Post by Ger »

I've read about this quite a lot. Can somebody list the features/requirements for such an extension?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Just from a personal curiosity point of view, what's the significance or advantage of having it built in to the forum rather than just having another website on a tab with a roller on it. It's one of those things that gets asked for a lot but maybe the fact that it doesn't NEED to be built in is the problem with getting someone to make it as I assume there are sites with scripts running rollers anyway.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Ger

Post by Ger »

KevC wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 am Just from a personal curiosity point of view, what's the significance or advantage of having it built in to the forum rather than just having another website on a tab with a roller on it. It's one of those things that gets asked for a lot but maybe the fact that it doesn't NEED to be built in is the problem with getting someone to make it as I assume there are sites with scripts running rollers anyway.
I think it has to do with role playing, looking at the avatar RiTz21 ;)
And in that case, you'd want to make sure that a dice roll has happened fair and is easily stored and displayed, without loss of data during a game etc.

I haven't got much any experience with online role playing, but I can somewhat imagine the use case. If it doesn't seem too complicated I consider building such an extension.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

zorni

Post by zorni »

Hey Ger, just let me know if you need the 3.2.x source code. (may PM to x-change email addys)

I ordered it from a prof. modder for cash, cause it was the most important thing for my board.

Here you can test it: http://www.dsaforum.de/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3#p1722123 (user: test pw: testuser)
Just use i.e. 3w20 for 3 20-sided dice rolls. you can add simple maths as well like 5w6+12. There's a [dice] bbcode button, which can be used.

I won't release it to public, cause there's no real documentation or support so far.
Last edited by zorni on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiTz21

Post by RiTz21 »

Ger wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 am
KevC wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 am Just from a personal curiosity point of view, what's the significance or advantage of having it built in to the forum rather than just having another website on a tab with a roller on it. It's one of those things that gets asked for a lot but maybe the fact that it doesn't NEED to be built in is the problem with getting someone to make it as I assume there are sites with scripts running rollers anyway.
I think it has to do with role playing, looking at the avatar RiTz21 ;)
And in that case, you'd want to make sure that a dice roll has happened fair and is easily stored and displayed, without loss of data during a game etc.

I haven't got much any experience with online role playing, but I can somewhat imagine the use case. If it doesn't seem too complicated I consider building such an extension.
You are correct Ger: The Forum hosts some play-by-post Dungeons & Dragon / Pathfinder games and the users need a way to roll dice (for everything from their character's attack, damage and skill checks - not to go into too much details).

A localized dice roller like the now abandoned DiceMod was perfect: Being local meant that it would not suffer downtime while the Forum is up and running. DiceMod had a mechanism to prevent the 'edition' of the dice results, so that users could not 'roll' until they got a result they liked (i.e. cheat) - including managing the 'preview' so that the dice was rolled ONLY once.

As for the requirements for a dice roller, you can check what the DiceMod did... and that's what's needed. While the DiceMod was pretty basic and did not allow for complex dice rolls, we really did not need such anyways (that feature would increase complexity for very little return)

If you wish to view a sample of a Play-by-post game, this thread should provide that. Remember that the [DICE] there do not work anymore - as well as some BBCODES after upgrading to 3.2.1 (I don't know why they are not parsing when reviewing this... I did update those [Talk] and [Whisper] bbcodes... if you know a way to fix this, lemme know!)

RiTz21
Ger

Post by Ger »

RiTz21 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:29 pm As for the requirements for a dice roller, you can check what the DiceMod did... and that's what's needed.
Well, that's quite a long-winded topic so I extracted these basic requirements:
  1. Be able to put some BBcode specifying the number of dice and how many sides each dice has
  2. Showing and protecting the result
  3. Allow only dice rolls belonging to the post, unless you're quoting someone else
  4. Prevent edits and such
zorni wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 pm Hey Ger, just let me know if you need the 3.2.x source code. (may PM to x-change email addys)

I ordered it from a prof. modder for cash, cause it was the most important thing for my board.

Here you can test it: http://www.dsaforum.de/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3#p1722123 (user: test pw: testuser)
Just use i.e. 3w20 for 3 20-sided dice rolls. you can add simple maths as well like 5w6+12. There's a [dice] bbcode button, which can be used.

I won't release it to public, cause there's no real documentation or support so far.
Would be nice to look into it, of allowed by the author. I won't be copying it anyway. Perhaps you can urge the author to open source it?
I tried some abusing on your forum. :P

What's the use of math in those dice rolls?
My extensions:

zorni

Post by zorni »

Ger wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 pm Would be nice to look into it, of allowed by the author. I won't be copying it anyway. Perhaps you can urge the author to open source it?
No problem, I'm gonna check this.
Ger wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 pm I tried some abusing on your forum.
Hehe ;-)
Ger wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 pm What's the use of math in those dice rolls?
Pen & Paper RPGs have values for many talents. Let's say, physical strength. 5, for example, is like a child, 12 is a normal man and over 15 is a warrior.
If the player wants to apply a talent, he has to take a sample with a D20. The game master can modify this depending on how difficult the task is.
For example, the warrior wants to lift a 75kg stone. It's no easy task, so the master modifies this specimen by 3: the physical force is 15, the Modification 3, so the Warrior has to make the specimen 3 more difficult, that's a 12, so he rolls a D20 and succeeds in rolling a 1-12. If he's above that, he won't make it through rehearsal.

Return to “Extension Requests”