Discord Chat Integration

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Jon_Hart

Discord Chat Integration

Post by Jon_Hart » Tue May 09, 2017 10:27 pm

I've been working out the idea for an extension for a while that involves integrating a phpBB forum with the Discord chat service. Discord has a a robust API that enables a lot of functionality to be added.
https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/intro

Basically I'd like an extension that would take events from the forum(new posts, new threads, etc,) and post them(title of post, forum, and link) using either a Discord bot implementation or webhooks into user specified channels on the Discord server.

Ideally, the Admin Module for the extension would take in the App Client ID, Bot token, and potentially webhooks from a user generated Discord app/bot that they would add to their Discord server themselves. Then the admin would be able to manually select which forums they wanted activity posted for and in what channel the posts would be made(on a sub-forum by sub-forum basis) on the Discord server.

To handle different permission levels the extension would need to allow the forums admin to select the User groups of their choice from their forum and have the Discord bot automatically create matching Roles on the Discord server. These roles could then be manually given access to appropriate Discord channels to maintain the required permission levels(so basic users can't see that a post was made in admin forums etc).

A UCP Module would allow forum users to sign into their Discord accounts using Oauth2 which would save their Discord id onto their phpBB user table row. From here there could either be a button for the user to click which would make the bot add them to the appropriate roles on the Discord server based on the user groups they are in, or the bot could automatically update the Discord roles of users with non-zero Discord ids in their user table row whenever certain events occur(User group changes?). Discord allows the creation of invites that will kick the user if they are not added to a Discord server role within a certain amount of time. This would mean the forum could share the Discord invite link to their users without worrying about people not signed up on their forums joining the server and spamming etc.

This extension would provide a robust third party chat service for phpBB communities to utilize without taking them fully away from the activity of the forum. I've found that when a community switches to a third party chat service that provides no integration with the forum, the forum tends to drop in activity as users no longer notice when new content is posted. This extension would provide a way for forum users to get mobile notifications for chat and forum activity using the Discord app and quickly access links to forum content when notified.

So to summarize. My request is an extension that integrates the user groups and forum activity of a phpBB forum with the roles and channels of a Discord server while maintaining the permission structure of the existing forum.

If anyone is interested in undertaking this task, providing insight, or making suggestions feel free.

Thank you.

elawrenc

Re: Discord Chat Integration

Post by elawrenc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Im interested in this. I'm new to creating extensions, so I'd like to be part of a team, perhaps, but I like discord from what I've seen.

Zanzazaar

Post by Zanzazaar » Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 am

Hi, any progress on that? I search for other topics etc, but I find nothing.

murdock

Post by murdock » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 pm

I would be looking for the same thing.

Roots

Post by Roots » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 am

I'm really surprised that no one has added this extension yet. It seems like a very useful extension for a lot of people. Maybe there's a project on github?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 am

as you have seen, there never has been a lot of interest in creating chat MODs /extensions etc. phpbb is already a bulletin board. I don't really see the need for a instant messenger/chat thing added to it.

oh well, if someone does they might come create one for you someday.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Roots

Post by Roots » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:12 am

https://github.com/rootslinux/phpbb-dis ... ifications

I decided to give it a shot myself, actually. I'm going to spend a couple weeks on it and see if I get anywhere. My goal isn't really to integrate chat into forums, but rather post forum activity notifications in an otherwise completely separate Discord chat.

Justification
I understand that chat integration seems like an unnecessary feature for a forum, and I'm sure for most places that's the case. My forums are a community built around a long-time open source project. The forum used to be our primary means of communication, with a secondary IRC channel for real-time discussions. When we retired IRC and made a Discord channel, to my surprise the Discord channel became our new main comm hub. I really like forum posts though, so to try and encourage more activity in our forums I wanted this extension to post notifications when new forum posts are made.

Return to “Extension Requests”