Dynamic Avatar Dimensions

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Scomitch

Dynamic Avatar Dimensions

Post by Scomitch »

Hi,

I'm looking to see of a feature that includes avatar dimensions on the dynamic scale. This means an avatar maximum size differs with different groups / users. For example, if a user is part of the Registered Users group, they follow the global rule of 150x150px maximum avatar size. However, if the user is an Administrator, they are able to bypass this rule and upload an avatar of X amount.

I've scoured the forums and an extension did exist, but it was discontinued. This can be a good feature to reward users who have been a part of your forum for X amount of days or have posted X amount of times- because they can be trusted with larger avatars which will broaden their creative spectrum.

Thanks for the help!
Leinad4Mind
Translator

Re: Dynamic Avatar Dimensions

Post by Leinad4Mind »

This was asked here too: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2150828

But for what I've searched, there was no MOD similar to this.

Lets hope someone will do an extension.
Want to access all my portuguese MOD and Extension translations?
Become my Patreon!
phpBB Portugal Translator and Moderator
Scomitch

Post by Scomitch »

Anyone got any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

Could it be done by a simple If statement with a check to see if a user is part of a group ID then abide by other dimension sizes? or am I way over my head and this is actually way more complicated? :lol:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I thought that was already in the software for admins to be able to bypass size restrictions on avatars.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Scomitch

Post by Scomitch »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:11 am I thought that was already in the software for admins to be able to bypass size restrictions on avatars.

robert
Just tested your theory there and unfortunately, it isn't the case, I wish it was!

If anyone could help out I'd love to compensate.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Scomitch wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pmI'd love to compensate
It's not allowed to hire through this board. However, there are plenty of reputable people around here. We suggest you take a look at the signatures of prominent team or community members who offer their services and send these people a private message. Or we can help you in the support forums, for free!

See: viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2437796

PS/ I don’t get this thing about massive avatars, 90x90 is plenty, 120x120 at a push, why would you need anything any bigger and why is it a power or ranking thing?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ger

Post by Ger »

Scomitch wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:01 pm I'm looking to see of a feature that includes avatar dimensions on the dynamic scale. This means an avatar maximum size differs with different groups / users. For example, if a user is part of the Registered Users group, they follow the global rule of 150x150px maximum avatar size. However, if the user is an Administrator, they are able to bypass this rule and upload an avatar of X amount.
Can you explain to me why you want to differentiate between user groups for how large their avatar is allowed to be?

I mean, 150x150x is quite large already IMHO. Most forums limit it to about 100px or something alike. Even more, if you allow larger avatars, your layout may get messed up due to too wide avatars or you simply get much vertical white space below posts because the post content is smaller than the avatar's height plus the other poster info (name, post count, etc.).
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Scomitch

Post by Scomitch »

Mick wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm content
Thanks for the tip.
Ger wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am Can you explain to me why you want to differentiate between user groups for how large their avatar is allowed to be?

I mean, 150x150x is quite large already IMHO. Most forums limit it to about 100px or something alike. Even more, if you allow larger avatars, your layout may get messed up due to too wide avatars or you simply get much vertical white space below posts because the post content is smaller than the avatar's height plus the other poster info (name, post count, etc.).
I understand where you're coming from with conventional discussion forums, but with forums that revolve around creativity/community involvement I'd want people to have creative freedom with what is on their profile - and an avatar is a symbol of just that. The request is simply a way to combat people that would abuse this privilege. I've already taken the layout concern into consideration with the way my style is developed and avatars up to 300px in length are aesthetically fine. Width would remain 100 - 150px.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Return to “Extension Requests”