[Image files right out of the forum user's camera or smart phone are often huge files, like several megabytes, literally 10 times larger than they need to be for display on a monitor.]
This leaves forum admins with 2 choices for attachments:
1. In the ACP, set the limits to "0", allowing anything. Users attach megabyte+ sized files, and those are then stored on the server. The server space fills up fast when image files are literally ten times bigger than needed.
2. In the ACP, set reasonable limits, such as no image files larger than 400kb, and no image files larger than 1280 pixels wide. If your forum is full of people that would be willing to post pictures, if they can post the files straight out of their digital camera, but simply will not post pictures if they have to reduce pixel dimensions and overall file size, then you understand the problem. They can post those gigantic image files right out of their camera onto Faceboog, damn it! and they want the same ease of use for your forum. Facebooger, of course, has a built-in, automatic, magical function to reduce image files' sizes.
I want an image attachment uploader extension that:
- examines a file being uploaded (for pixel dimensions and file size)
- if the pixel dimensions exceed the ACP width and height maximum settings, the photo is automatically reduced until both width max and height max have been met
- the reduced photo is then saved to the server with some small percentage of JPG compression
Thanks for your consideration.