Bible verses in posts

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Mistah_J

Bible verses in posts

Post by Mistah_J »

So, let's say I want to start a Christianity forum using phpBB. I've noticed that many XenForo and vBulletin-based Christianity forums have some sort of plugins that allow members to write the number of a Bible verse and it will show up inside the post as a clickable url that takes you to the Bible verse itself.

Is anything like this available for phpBB 3.2? The only thing I could find was this thread from two years ago, which I'm guessing is abandoned: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2144876
millipede

Re: Bible verses in posts

Post by millipede »

Hey Mistah_J
I'll send you a PM to hopefully alert you to this since it says you haven't been on since October.
I'm replying to bump this request as well as offer some thoughts.
We have some members here that do custom work though, I am poor so I could not make such a request of them.

But, there are codes out there to manually put in to a website that do what you're looking for. I have no idea what it would take to turn that code into an extension or, how difficult it would be to simply plug it into the board manually.
I THINK the code would just go in the overall header but I'm not sure what the results would be so, don't take my word on that at all.

Biblegateway has such a code:
>>Bible Gateway Ref Tag Tool<<
They also have a search form and a verse of the day widget that can be added to a website.
I just happened to be searching this today and found this request.

If there's anyone out there that might want to work on an extension(I don't imagine there's a lot of requests for it) the above link might be a good starting point.
I may contact biblegateway to see if a phpbb extension is something they could work on themselves. I kind of doubt it but it never hurts to ask. :)
Good luck.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

This shouldn't be too hard. All you really need is the overall_footer_body_after template event with the following code:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME != 'posting' -->
<script src="https://www.biblegateway.com/public/link-to-us/tooltips/bglinks.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
BGLinks.version = "KJV";
BGLinks.linkVerses();
</script>
<!-- ENDIF -->
The problem you will run into is there are multiple versions of the bible and it appears you can only select one.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
millipede

Post by millipede »

This shouldn't be too hard. All you really need is...
Over a year later and I was looking at this again and wondered what "this shouldn't be too hard" meant... thinking it was just something I could throw together myself... so I went in my cpanel to look at files for overall_footer_body_after and what I found was that mentioned in a few extensions I already have... so, I'm guessing the not so hard thing is creating an extension??? That has me wondering if that is all that's actually needed... a single file with that code? That would indeed be easy but I'm assuming that creating an extension isn't as simple as a single file with one little blurb of code.
david63

Post by david63 »

millipede wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:55 pm I'm assuming that creating an extension isn't as simple as a single file with one little blurb of code.
It certainly could be.
millipede wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:55 pm I'm guessing the not so hard thing is creating an extension
Use the Skeleton Extension as a guide
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
david63

Post by david63 »

For anyone interested here is the extension - https://github.com/david63/biblequotes/archive/3.2.zip
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
millipede

Post by millipede »

david63 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 pm For anyone interested here is the extension - https://github.com/david63/biblequotes/archive/3.2.zip
Here I was thinking I needed to go try and figure out how to create it myself. Thanks.
Although, how do I install that one? I unzipped it and uploaded it to the ext folder... and tried it in the ext/phpbb folder just for fun... neither resulted in it showing up on the extensions list in the acp's extension manager.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

millipede wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:45 pm Although, how do I install that one?
see ext.php

namespace david63\biblequotes;

In the ext folder, make a directory david63
extract the directory biblequotes-3.2 into ext/david63 and then remove the "-3.2" part from the directory (rename)

@david63 A readme.md explaining how to install the extension wouldn't be superfluous nor excessive :P
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
millipede

Post by millipede »

thanks... It's now in the disabled extensions in the acp, yay...
Although it says "[*] Bible quotes" Not sure what the [*] is about but at least it's there.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

millipede wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:17 pm thanks... It's now in the disabled extensions in the acp, yay...
Although it says "[*] Bible quotes" Not sure what the [*] is about but at least it's there.
That's the Bethlehem star, a token proving it was validated by David himself :lol:
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

david63

Post by david63 »

warmweer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 pm @david63 A readme.md explaining how to install the extension wouldn't be superfluous nor excessive
How about at the bottom of this page - https://github.com/david63/biblequotes
David

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:49 pm How about at the bottom of this page - https://github.com/david63/biblequotes
I didn't see that when clicking your link, and the readme.md isn't included in the zipfile.

millipede

Post by millipede »

hey, I'm just happy to have it. :)
If it was packaged as biblequotes-3.2/david63/biblequotes I would have uploaded it correctly the first time. No worries though.

I'm testing it out... seems to work how I'd expect in my browser. I have it set to hover but I might have to change that as in mobile, how do you hover? but clicking on it in mobile takes you to biblegateway and the popup is off to the side, off screen. maybe if I held the phone sideways it wouldn't have done that to me.
Thanks for taking the time David... I do appreciate it.

Return to “Extension Requests”