Allow Members to Select Special Rank/Title?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Midnighter07

Allow Members to Select Special Rank/Title?

Post by Midnighter07 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 pm

So I am starting a support board and I want to have two distinct functions:

1. A post-count based rank (just essentially "Newbie," "Veteran," etc.) that would automatically appear and update based on the number of pre-set posts for that user. That I already know and can do in phpBB's default functions, no problem there.

2. A special rank/title that members can select for themselves, ideally in their user profile panel ("Professional," "Hobbyist," "Part-Timer," etc.). This way we not only have the automatically assigned rank of their participation in the boards, but also their chosen title of what type of participant they are in the community. So you can have a "Veteran" who is a "Writer," as opposed to a "Journalist," "Reader," "Critic," etc.

I've found mods and extensions for multi-ranks but they seem unsupported or nonfunctional. I've tried reading through how ranks work already, but "special ranks" are still requiring that I manually assign them to every user. The key element here is that the second "special" rank is something the user can select, not requiring I personally assign it every time.

All I want to do is have two ranks, one automatically assigned by post-count and the second a job title that the user can select for themselves to appear.

Is there a mod, extension or built-in phpBB function that would permit this? Thanks for any assistance.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Allow Members to Select Special Rank/Title?

Post by Brf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Use a custom profile field for your second rank, just like the "interests" profile field.

Midnighter07

Post by Midnighter07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:11 am

Got a promising recommendation for a possible extension that could do this offered by "Sitesplat" however the link only takes me to a general description, no download links, and then the SiteSplat community site I searched has posts about it but clicking on the posts offered no way to actually track down just where on their site one can download or purchase the extension to try it out.

Midnighter07

Post by Midnighter07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:47 am

Also, in searching archives / past mod posts here, I came across two mods that seemed to be what I was looking for, but the last ended support back in 2010 so it looks like this HAS been something people have developed a specific extension or mod for, just nobody has done it more recently to work with 3.2.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

What is wrong with using a custom profile field?

PhilDiscuss

Post by PhilDiscuss » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 am

I am using these extension on my 3.2.1 board.. And works very well :) but for premium theme only. #sitesplat
Professionally develop phpBB Premium Styles(2) and Extensions(64): Marketplace(Digital&Physical Goods), Downloads, Membership, Awards, Tags, Newsletter, Points, Invite System, Custom Extension, etc? PM me.

The Philippines Discussions Website

Return to “Extension Requests”