phpBB forum integration with Composr CMS

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
JoshuaHton

phpBB forum integration with Composr CMS

Post by JoshuaHton » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

I'd really like to run Composr CMS along with phpBB forum using the third party forum integration feature available with Composr. The latest they support for phpBB is version 3.0, according to their download page. Does their integration still work without any issues with v3.2? Anybody tried integrating phpBB forum with Composr CMS?

Elias
Name: Elias

Re: phpBB forum integration with Composr CMS

Post by Elias » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm

If it was meant for 3.0, I highly doubt it will work for phpBB 3.2.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am

Are you on shared hosting? If so be aware Composer CMS can be unusable on shared hosting as it’s a resource hog. You could always ask the author(s) of the third party code.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Ger

Post by Ger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am

JoshuaHton wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm
I'd really like to run Composr CMS along with phpBB forum using the third party forum integration feature available with Composr. The latest they support for phpBB is version 3.0, according to their download page. Does their integration still work without any issues with v3.2? Anybody tried integrating phpBB forum with Composr CMS?
What is it about Composr CMS that you want and other solutions don't offer?
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

JoshuaHton

Post by JoshuaHton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Elias wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm
If it was meant for 3.0, I highly doubt it will work for phpBB 3.2.
Ah. Myself too suspect so.

I am actually considering to do a testing by trying to integrate phpBB 3.2. Before my testing, I wanted to check with the members here in the community.

I will share the result once completed.

JoshuaHton

Post by JoshuaHton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am
Are you on shared hosting? If so be aware Composer CMS can be unusable on shared hosting as it’s a resource hog. You could always ask the author(s) of the third party code.
Yes, I am on shared hosting. I am yet to launch my site. My preparations so far are on my local server.

Thanks for the alert on Composr being a resource hog. So far I have spent little time exploring, I am considering Composr for my site because of the many features it bundles by default.

JoshuaHton

Post by JoshuaHton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Ger wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am
What is it about Composr CMS that you want and other solutions don't offer?
I liked the default features available with Composr CMS. There are many default features but for my site, I will be using the news, chat, gallery, and document management features. The advantage for me is that I get all features without depending on any extensions and any need to do the coding. Ofcourse, I will work on the visual design by editing the CSS to give the site a fresh trendy look.

For the forum, Discourse was my first choice. Unfortunately, it's not supported by Composr's third-party integration. I chose phpBB next among the listed forum products in their page.

JoshuaHton

Post by JoshuaHton » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Hello All!

I did a test run to install phpBB 3.2 first and then during Composr installation, I integrated phpBB forum. The installation was smooth. Composr automatically picked phpBB forum database and integrated with the CMS. I performed a quick test and I wasn't bombarded with any error message.

However, the forum is opening in a new tab instead within in the frame where phpBB is configured. So, there will be PHP coding and CSS editing required to display correctly.

It is an interesting experiment for me, learned something interesting. I am also considering to test integrating Vanilla forum.

I will update soon...

Return to “Extension Requests”