How to disable links for new users until x posts?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
WWu777

How to disable links for new users until x posts?

Post by WWu777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 am

Dear developers,
I had a mod in my previous phpbb 3 forum that disabled links for new users until they reached 3 posts. It kept a lot of spammers from posting and decreased the work load on my moderation queue. However, after upgrading to phpbb 3.2, I no longer have that anymore.

I would suggest that an option be added to the ACP to disallow new users to post links. Perhaps in the permissions section. If not, then maybe an extension?

It does make a difference if you have a large forum. Because many spammers post everyday and most of them are bots. The bots will not usually post if they cannot post links. So it decreases my workload in the moderation queue substantially. I'd say it eliminates about 70 percent of spam, most of which are bots. Only human spammers will continue to post without links until they get out of the newly registered users group so they can post spam, but that's a minority of them. Most spammers are bots.
Last edited by WWu777 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Di
Name: Marco

Re: How to disable links for new users until x posts?

Post by 3Di » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:33 am

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 am
for new users until they reached 3 posts. It kept a lot of spammers from posting and decreased the work load on my moderation queue. However, after upgrading to phpbb 3.2, I no longer have that anymore.
There is the phpBB's native NRU group (Newly Registered Users) instead.

Please read the Docs about activating/setting that group.
The Docs and teh Search function would be your primary guides, there is a plethora of information there in. :)
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:43 am

3Di wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:33 am
WWu777 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 am
for new users until they reached 3 posts. It kept a lot of spammers from posting and decreased the work load on my moderation queue. However, after upgrading to phpbb 3.2, I no longer have that anymore.
There is the phpBB's native NRU group (Newly Registered Users) instead.

Please read the Docs about activating/setting that group.
The Docs and teh Search function would be your primary guides, there is a plethora of information there in. :)
I already know how to do that. But the problem is, many spam bots will usually post links that I have to disapprove everyday. It happens too often. If I disallow new users to post links, most spam bots will not bother. So it substantially decreases work load. Do you understand what I mean?

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:52 am

If you have a good spambot countermeasure (Q&A with a NOT googleable answer) all of this does not happen, has been discussed and tried to death. I for one I never had spam bots.

If you have human spammers instead you need to deal with them as you wish.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 am

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:26 am

Ibedejo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 am
Authorized for URLs
So that’s what it’s called..!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 pm

3Di wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:52 am
If you have a good spambot countermeasure (Q&A with a NOT googleable answer) all of this does not happen, has been discussed and tried to death. I for one I never had spam bots.

If you have human spammers instead you need to deal with them as you wish.
This is also to mick and elias who made the same suggestion in another topic.

That was true 3 or 4 years ago. But not anymore. Two years ago all the spambots broke through my Q&A questions that were not googleable such as "whats the color in the logo on the home page" etc or "whats my last name?". Even when i changed all the questions they still broke through. I dont know how. But they did. So i used the google recaptcha but that doesnt seem to stop them either. Not even version 2. But i tell you from experience that most spam bots will not post if they cant post links.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Ibedejo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 am
Authorized for URLs
Thats cool. Will they disallow links for new users only or for everyone?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 pm
That was true 3 or 4 years ago. But not anymore.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense. I'm running Q&A on 3 sites. Barely any register. Any that do get through are caught by the NRU group. The users never ever see any spam at all. I have to deal with one rogue spam account every week or two at most. But I just delete it, the users are none the wiser and the board carries on as usual.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:59 pm

@WWu777

Why don't you read the description I linked to or test the extension to find this out yourself?

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 pm

KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm
WWu777 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 pm
That was true 3 or 4 years ago. But not anymore.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense. I'm running Q&A on 3 sites. Barely any register. Any that do get through are caught by the NRU group. The users never ever see any spam at all. I have to deal with one rogue spam account every week or two at most. But I just delete it, the users are none the wiser and the board carries on as usual.
Ok i will try it again then. Maybe those bots were breaking through by hacking the scripts, not by answering the questions. How many questions do you use? Do you rotate many like i did? Can you give an example of a question you used?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Only use one question in your Q&A, if it gets broken you’ll know which one it is and can change it straight away. If you use ten you’ll have to change all ten.

I have used similar to:

Q: If the time is now 11.40am how many minutes is it until 13.10hrs?
A: 90

Obviously don’t use this one, it’s Googleable by that fact it’s been posted here.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:38 pm

There is no way to bypass the registration.

You either have a question that is too easy or they are human spammers.

I use one question. If you have multiple questions and they get in you have no idea which of them they've beaten so you have to change all of them. One is plenty.

If they beat my question I only have to make a tiny change and they stop again.

I'd rather not say what I use because it works well and is low maintenance. What I will say is that bots are 'stupid'. They cannot apply logic to something that you ask them. They can only answer straight questions with a straight answer. If you get them to do a task of some kind, such as looking somewhere in particular for the answer or determining what is in a logo or what is somewhere on a webpage or completing one task and then doing another, they can't do that.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:25 pm
Only use one question in your Q&A, if it gets broken you’ll know which one it is and can change it straight away. If you use ten you’ll have to change all ten.

I have used similar to:

Q: If the time is now 11.40am how many minutes is it until 13.10hrs?
A: 90

Obviously don’t use this one, it’s Googleable by that fact it’s been posted here.
That's a good one. Maybe you can use roman numerals instead of numbers. lol

But isn't the new Google recaptcha 2.0 supposed to prevent all bots? I have it enabled yet the spam still comes. That means they must be human spammers right?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:23 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:08 pm
But isn't the new Google recaptcha 2.0 supposed to prevent all bots? I have it enabled yet the spam still comes. That means they must be human spammers right?
for Google recaptcha see https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/
Spam is not a synonym for bot so your second remark lacks foundation.
No, that conclusion cannot be made with the given information. Did you look at the IPs to see where it originates from? (actually if they are online, look at the who is online part or even at the session table)
A bug is a feature that didn't make it to the manual (yet)

Return to “Extension Requests”