Highlight and "Marked as Read" Posts

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
profKroy

Highlight and "Marked as Read" Posts

Post by profKroy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 am

Instead of writing everything out, I thought I'd make a video instead. Thanks everyone.

https://youtu.be/bFrG7R2mMWk

EDIT:

Short and sweet, but thanks for trying to watch at least. I'm up to 11 views so far, so... ;)

1) I just want, as the instructor, to be able to "star" a post so that it catches the attention of students. If they rollover the star, it'll tell them why it's highlighted.

2) I'd like the user to be able to check a box on a post once they've read the post. It would serve as a visual reference for them that they've read it, and it would be documented/timestamped on the back-end somehow so I could get a better sense of time spent with the material.
Last edited by profKroy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Highlight and "Marked as Read" Posts

Post by KevC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:06 am

I'm not sure many will sit and listen to a 13 minute video. It's better if you briefly (at least) explain what you want.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am

KevC wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:06 am
I'm not sure many will sit and listen to a 13 minute video. It's better if you briefly (at least) explain what you want.
I gave up after the first two minutes
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:04 pm

david63 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am
I gave up after the first two minutes
Same here.
Seriously, if my curiosity isn't aroused within 1 minute or 3-5 lines of text, it probably isn't something I've been waiting for. (of course I can only speak for myself).
A bug is a feature that didn't make it to the manual (yet)

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 pm

First, I would like to control who can report a post. Ideally I as the instructor/admin, should only have this functionality, but I would also like to be able to assign student moderators this functionality as well. I can forego the latter, if it's too much of a problem, but it would be great to have upper division students, helping lower division students using this tool.....teaching assistants, so to speak. I think I can already do this, using permissions, no?
That is possible with the features that phpBB already offers.
Create a group, put the upper division students in it.
Allow the group to report topics/posts.

For the rest of the groups, set that permission to 'No'.
ACP > Permissions > Group Forum Permissions > Select Registered Users
Choose the forums > 'Advanced Permissions' > Actions > Set 'Can report posts' to No.

Do the same thing but set the 'Can report posts' to Yes to the group that you created for your upper division students.
Second, I would like all registered users to see some sort of visual reference if a post has been reported, or in the case of this extension, when feedback on the post has been provided. When a student clicks on the "view post feedback" button, they would see the reported feedback....like, "this work represents, excellent work," something like that. Perhaps, the little flag icon they see would be a star or something, indicating that there is instructor feedback for the particular post. I am concerned about UI for this so, please work with me on the details of that. I'm also using a theme that might need to be dealt with.
This is more what you are looking for.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm

It may be that forum software is not the way to go for that second one if that's what the video is about. Presumably commercial software exists that allows something like that already.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 am

Elias wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 pm
First, I would like to control who can report a post. Ideally I as the instructor/admin, should only have this functionality, but I would also like to be able to assign student moderators this functionality as well. I can forego the latter, if it's too much of a problem, but it would be great to have upper division students, helping lower division students using this tool.....teaching assistants, so to speak. I think I can already do this, using permissions, no?
That is possible with the features that phpBB already offers.
Create a group, put the upper division students in it.
Allow the group to report topics/posts.

For the rest of the groups, set that permission to 'No'.
ACP > Permissions > Group Forum Permissions > Select Registered Users
Choose the forums > 'Advanced Permissions' > Actions > Set 'Can report posts' to No.

Do the same thing but set the 'Can report posts' to Yes to the group that you created for your upper division students.
Second, I would like all registered users to see some sort of visual reference if a post has been reported, or in the case of this extension, when feedback on the post has been provided. When a student clicks on the "view post feedback" button, they would see the reported feedback....like, "this work represents, excellent work," something like that. Perhaps, the little flag icon they see would be a star or something, indicating that there is instructor feedback for the particular post. I am concerned about UI for this so, please work with me on the details of that. I'm also using a theme that might need to be dealt with.
This is more what you are looking for.
Much appreciated. The first request you mentioned is a little different than what I'm after now, but I did figure out what you are describing. I need to update that prior request. But yes the second request you mention is more along the same lines.

To clarify, this is what I'm going for at this point...

1) I just want, as the instructor, to be able to "star" a post so that it catches the attention of students. If they rollover the star, it'll tell them why it's highlighted.

2) I'd like the user to be able to check a box on a post once they've read the post. It would serve as a visual reference for them that they've read it, and it would be documented/timestamped on the back-end somehow so I could get a better sense of time spent with the material.

And apologies for the long video. Although you can run it a double speed. ;) I'm just sick of these commercial companies who really can't develop to my needs at all and I really want encourage the growth of what I see as an exceptional platform that can be expanded in so many directions, including into higher education. Thanks again.
Last edited by profKroy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am

KevC wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm
It may be that forum software is not the way to go for that second one if that's what the video is about. Presumably commercial software exists that allows something like that already.
Commercial software that would integrate with phpBB?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am

I mean a stand alone piece of software that has the kind of posting and reporting system you want.
Cheap UK Hosting

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

KevC wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am
I mean a stand alone piece of software that has the kind of posting and reporting system you want.
Thanks for that. The thing is I've already pruned a pretty large resource for my students. When I think about how to develop it, my ideas revolve around organizing content so that more relevant information is highlighted. Pruning is the first step obviously, but I also want to be careful about maintaining the established identity, that really students have worked hard to create. For those reading this who teach, you'll know what I mean. Let the students teach each other and build the knowledge base.

The second is really about my understanding of how the forum (class) is being utilized. If for example, a little icon was available to students to mark posts as read, not only would that encourage them to read, that would also let me know a) what the most popular posts are potentially and b) how and when much of the reading/skimming was going on. Hence why a timestamp would be useful. I already use an extension that let's me know the last 20 visitors to a topic, and how many times they've visited the topic. That has been so useful, you can't imagine.

Then that leads to the second request as well. If I can see posts that are particularly meaningful, I could highlight them with a star or some little visual indicator. As the term rolls on, there is the inevitable chatter and noise than can complicate the message that is trying to get through. (Take this topic thread for example ;)) One option that I've seen in other system that might work is the idea of "pinning" a post, say to the top of the page. In my opinion that is not ideal, especially if there are over 5 posts that you want to pin. I think a simple visual indicator would be the simplest at first. "pinning' could come later. Either way, I'd like to work with someone to develop these ideas as I think that having extensions that are geared towards teaching, would potentially expand the usership of the application. Especially as more and more of my colleagues voice their displeasure with the "out of the box" solutions that are imposed on faculty.

If anyone is interested in such a venture I'd love to have a further conversation.

These companies that are hawking their "solutions" are not concerned as they should with the variety of pedagogies that are emerging as technology evolves, ironically. And they haven't developed a modular product that is easily customizable. Why not do what they do but better, and in a more transparent way? For instance, why can't data flow back to the teachers to help them better teach? Why is user and usability data not available to allow faculty to improve? Some of these systems you can't even change the color or style, leaving students in a dull drab virtual environment. I'm ranting, but it's only because I see phpBB and its community as a solution. My 2¢.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Yeah, I know of this.
I studied this one months ago and a pseudo-skeleton has been already made, btw.

Video D/l'ed, got to get some spare time and watch it.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

kinerity
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 am

profKroy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm
why can't data flow back to the teachers to help them better teach? Why is user and usability data not available to allow faculty to improve?
[snip]
I see phpBB and its community as a solution.
However, phpBB is not a teaching tool - it's a discussion board. If you need software to assist you teaching, look for products geared towards that.
phpBB3 Refugees - Unofficial phpBB 3.0.x support

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 am

kinerity wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 am
profKroy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm
why can't data flow back to the teachers to help them better teach? Why is user and usability data not available to allow faculty to improve?
[snip]
I see phpBB and its community as a solution.
However, phpBB is not a teaching tool - it's a discussion board. If you need software to assist you teaching, look for products geared towards that.
I agree 100%. PHPBB is actually a teaching AND learning tool. What's the purpose of a discussion if it's not to teach, write, converse, argue, read, watch, listen, learn and understand? :?:

To which products are you referring? I'm open to evaluating any software that encourages meaningful communication.

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:18 am

3Di wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah, I know of this.
I studied this one months ago and a pseudo-skeleton has been already made, btw.

Video D/l'ed, got to get some spare time and watch it.
Thanks 3Di. I mentioned to you before, your prior work has been awesome for my board. I'm forging ahead on this, trying to make incremental improvements for the benefit of the community. I think it could be useful in a variety of settings for many PHPBB sites.

Think of it this way...

- readers get to mark posts as read (and the admin gets a report on everything that has been marked). AJAX?
- admin gets to highlight posts to grab users attention (and the admin gets to put a little note on the post to let the reader why it's been highlighted.

I just know there's a developer who can do this in a quarter of the time it would take me...and that's a very very generous representation of my PHP skills, minus learning the 'ins and outs' of extension development.

Ger

Post by Ger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am

profKroy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 am
This shouldn't be too hard actually.
profKroy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 am
Why would a student need to check a box if they've already opened the topic page? Either it's too much (20 boxes to check for every page) or needless (if each topic as only a handful of posts).

If you have multiple posts on a page, I'd automate this by checking if the post has been in the viewport of the user. If so, mark it as read.
Checkout my extensions: Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Modbreak, Magic OGP links and Live topic update

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

Return to “Extension Requests”