Highlight and "Marked as Read" Posts

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
profKroy

Re: Highlight and "Marked as Read" Posts

Post by profKroy »

Ger wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am
profKroy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 am 1) I just want, as the instructor, to be able to "star" a post so that it catches the attention of students. If they rollover the star, it'll tell them why it's highlighted.
This shouldn't be too hard actually.
profKroy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 am 2) I'd like the user to be able to check a box on a post once they've read the post. It would serve as a visual reference for them that they've read it, and it would be documented/timestamped on the back-end somehow so I could get a better sense of time spent with the material.
Why would a student need to check a box if they've already opened the topic page? Either it's too much (20 boxes to check for every page) or needless (if each topic as only a handful of posts).

If you have multiple posts on a page, I'd automate this by checking if the post has been in the viewport of the user. If so, mark it as read.
That's an interesting idea with regard to the viewport. What I'm thinking is that clicking will force students to interact and I don't see scrolling and clicking to 'mark posts as read' to be too much of a challenge. Again, there would be feedback given to the students that the post has been read and I believe that would be a little source of encouragement, through visual stimulation. It sort of promotes interaction as well, and something else to do besides reading and scrolling. I'm a believer in the interactive component to help reinforce messages that are presented. Think about how satisfying it is to mark your trail when you're learning how to do something or absorbing material. It serves as a reference for accomplishment and students are especially sensitive to that.

In my instruction I would set parameters for students with regard to how they should interact with the posts because as you mentioned, with expanding topic threads I don't actually expect students to read everything. We all know how differently we read web based material. Sometimes we just absorb chunks at a time and skim. That's perfectly okay.

But combined with the "starred" post idea, students would/should know to read and mark starred posts. That would be good practice in terms of their interaction with the forum and I would provide instruction on those best practices, which I do already with regard to the forum's use. I let students know how to get the best learning experience from the forum.
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

profKroy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:18 am
3Di wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 pm Yeah, I know of this.
I studied this one months ago and a pseudo-skeleton has been already made, btw.

Video D/l'ed, got to get some spare time and watch it.
Thanks 3Di. I mentioned to you before, your prior work has been awesome for my board. I'm forging ahead on this, trying to make incremental improvements for the benefit of the community. I think it could be useful in a variety of settings for many PHPBB sites.

Think of it this way...

- readers get to mark posts as read (and the admin gets a report on everything that has been marked). AJAX?
- admin gets to highlight posts to grab users attention (and the admin gets to put a little note on the post to let the reader why it's been highlighted.

I just know there's a developer who can do this in a quarter of the time it would take me...and that's a very very generous representation of my PHP skills, minus learning the 'ins and outs' of extension development.
We are working on this, you will be noticed on our progresses.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
kasimi
Former Team Member

Post by kasimi »

Your second request sounds like a thanks/like/thumbs-up extension with "thanks" changed to "has read" in the the language files.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

kasimi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:39 pm Your second request sounds like a thanks/like/thumbs-up extension with "thanks" changed to "has read" in the the language files.
Yes, sounded like that to me too. :)
But a different coding approach is being used here, at the moment it's under the spot due to the many specifics involved on this. A nice challenge I can say.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

kasimi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:39 pm Your second request sounds like a thanks/like/thumbs-up extension with "thanks" changed to "has read" in the the language files.
Interesting. I'll check this out. Thanks for thinking about what could be adapted to serve the purpose. Looks like this might actually work and give me the data I need as well. Awesome.
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I am proud to announce that all of this and some extras more (like a Bot etc..).. have been coded as an unique extension for phpBB 3.2.

Currently the works are under testing available here

Special thanks to profKroy who has made that possible and to Mr. Goldy who helped in the development as co-author.

Return to “Extension Requests”