Forum title & description translations

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
OciXCrom™

Forum title & description translations

Post by OciXCrom™ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 pm

I would like to request an extension that allows you to specify an English translation for the forum title and description when creating/editing a forum in ACP. Then, if the user's language is set to English, it will display the English title & description instead of the default ones. This will be useful for non-English forums that are visited by foreign users.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Forum title & description translations

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:55 pm

This maybe?
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ranslator/

There are certain limitations to working like that though. People generally post on forums in a language that is common to the forum. You don't often get multilingual forums. One reason is that you need mods who can probably speak both and also translators are not always accurate which can lead to either nonsense messages or misunderstandings due to bad translations.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

OciXCrom™

Re: Forum title & description translations

Post by OciXCrom™ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:13 pm

I already tried that. It does a terrible job. I don't want automatic translations. I just need to add one English translation which will be shown instead of the default one if the user's language is English. Surely I wouldn't be requesting this if I didn't need it. I'm an administrator in a Bulgarian forum and sometimes users who don't speak Bulgarian join it and they want to post something, but don't know where to do it. If the sections were translated to English, it would be much easier for them to find their way around.

Return to “Extension Requests”