Topic subscription and notification

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
BBBenj

Topic subscription and notification

Post by BBBenj » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi,

I have a forum with quite a bunch of members, but only few posters. Moreover, there is only a post twice a week to once a day max.

But these messages are really important. And as there is so little traffic, users don't come on regular basis to check new messages.

Here is what I need: I want to send a mail to every user concerned (i.e. who have access to that specific part of the forum, as there are a "public" and a "private" zones) for each new subject or for the FIRST answer (not every message of course!) to a topic since their last visit on the forum...

I ran Google, explored phpBB.com, your site,... but found nothing...

Til today, I download the phpbb_forum_watch, phpbb_forum_groups, phpbb_forums, phpbb_users, mix them in Excel through a pain-in-the-ass macro and reinject them in my forum via save/restore database, and this each time a new user registers, or a new forum is created. Simply awful and time consuming.

Any better idea would be appreciated ;)

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Topic subscription and notification

Post by david63 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Have you looked at the Digests extension?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

BBBenj

Post by BBBenj » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi David,

Yes I did, but I'd like instant mail notifications, not a daytime sumup at a fixed time.

iorG19
Name: Georgian Iordache

Post by iorG19 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:53 pm

You can also take a look here viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2355286 :oops:
"What is Untold is Uknown" ---Don Francisco Lopez
"Si pones el corazón, eres un ganador". ---Georgian Iordache @iorG19

BBBenj

Post by BBBenj » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks a lot, iorG19.

But, as far as I read, it's a browser notification. You opened the forum once, it's still opened somewhere and you get a notification when a new post arrives.

The problem is, in my case, that our members don't even think to open our forum. And due to security reason, after an hour, they're disconnected... So I don't think it could be useful.

Any other idea, please?

iorG19
Name: Georgian Iordache

Post by iorG19 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:52 pm

BBBenj wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Any other idea, please?
I think the (very) closer idea for your request, probably might be:
https://mailchimp.com

Or in a closer future any integration with some 'push' services like:
https://www.pushbullet.com

Cheers 👍
"What is Untold is Uknown" ---Don Francisco Lopez
"Si pones el corazón, eres un ganador". ---Georgian Iordache @iorG19

BBBenj

Post by BBBenj » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi iorg19,

Sorry, I don't see the point with my request.

What I ask is basically what does a forum if every member has a subscription to every topic, to every forum. That's all I want.

For emailing, I already have my own solution with an extra exchange mail account at my provider.

BBBenj

Post by BBBenj » Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 am

Hi everybody,

It's been now a full year since my last post. As I found a very unpleasant solution with imports from phpmyadmin and macros in Excel, I face today a new start with a brand new forum, with the same requisites: most of my members are occasional viewers who need the information I (and a bunch of members) write from once or twice a day to once a week.

Therefore, I can't except each of them to check on a regular basis if there's something new, it's impossible. Moreover, the information is divided between 10 to 20 specialized categories. I can't ask them to subscribe to every one of them...

I need a way to inform them as soon as possible. I tried Digests (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... extension/), but it sends notification only once a day at a fixed time. I need more reactivity!

But I also need an option for some of my members to cancel their initial subscriptions to be in accordance with French law, which I can't do with Excel...

I hope I was clear enough. Can you help me, please?

Return to “Extension Requests”