3.2 Topic title generates url with all words of topic title

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
cachophrastus

3.2 Topic title generates url with all words of topic title

Post by cachophrastus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 am

Hi,

I want to generate a url from the topic title that is not in code. I know that google says that this is not a good idea but I don't believe them! Top ranking forums like Mumsnet have this. I have seen it on a very old phpbb board.

So the topic title: "Does free range chicken taste better?" would generate the url: com/forum/does-free-range-chicken-taste-better

Cheers Chris

Bermudez
Name: Juan Antonio

Re: 3.2 Topic title generates url with all words of topic title

Post by Bermudez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 am

Read this post and this article from HiFiKabin.

cachophrastus

Post by cachophrastus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Bermudez wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 am
Read this post and this article from HiFiKabin.
I've read the endless topics on this subject. I don't believe that the google blog is actually saying that human readable urls are not more SEO friendly. It seems to be discussing an arcane technical point. I've also read the standard reply which is "All you need to do is write great, well written content and keep doing it".

I don't believe it. All the SEO experts are telling me that you need a well written meta title, a well written meta description that accurately reflects the content on your page. If the content of your page, the meta title, the meta description AND the url all line up with the term searched for: Bingo!
Google's quality score for your site or your page acquired over time as google tracks how users interact with your site and how many inbound links there are is also a factor of course. Who knows the weight that the google algorithm gives to each factor? I just want to make sure that I do everything I can. Machine code is not telling google anything about the content of my page.

I've got an extension which uses the content of the first post as a meta description. Now I want my urls to be user friendly. I don't care about losing my page ranking juice if I change the board or create a sub domain or updating to a newer version because I won't be doing any of those things. Once the board has been set up properly it will stay that way for eternity as far as I'm concerned.

Can someone please write me an extension that generates "human friendly" urls. Is there an extension on the German version of phpbb?

Cheers Chris

posey
Name: Gijs

Post by posey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:08 pm

cachophrastus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:33 pm
Once the board has been set up properly it will stay that way for eternity as far as I'm concerned.
As far as you are concerned, but that's not always the point at hand. What if there are new features, settings, etc.. you want to have on your board that require a newer version of phpBB. Not to mention security updates and bug fixes.

All of that put aside, there are so many places in phpBB itself that has the URL's coded in, which extensions can not alter through an extension. And then I am only talking about the 'viewforum.php' and the 'viewtopic.php' URLs, as those are the most commonly used and looked at. So that means that any extension adds a second layer to the loading which is far from ideal.

Then again, as soon as a change has been made to the extension and/or phpBB, which changes the URL, all previous indexing will be lost.
And what about topic titles being changes? It will change the URL for the topic and all older URLs to the same topic, but with a different title, will now throw a 404 - Not found, eventhough the topic still exists.
cachophrastus wrote:
Machine code is not telling google anything about the content of my page.
Pretty much everything that is being told to google is through 'machine code'. It is indifferent to google what your URL looks like. It's only for the human readable eye that it might be preferrable. As you can tell from the URL what is linking to.
Even then it's a minimalistic change, which could aswell be achieved with the topic title in the title="" attrible, so it display in a hover.

Point is I am trying to make, I do not think any of the long time extension writers on here will write a 'Human URL'-extension and maintain it.
''I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.''

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:14 pm

so, you are saying that you and all of those so called "SEO experts" know better than google what google wants.

ok, I got it now.

just FYI, most of the "SEO experts" now, are just copying what other "experts" wrote a decade or more ago about a subject that they didn't really understand even then.

I think that I would listen to what google has to say about the subject.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

potku

Post by potku » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 am

Back to the topic: is there an EXT in the making for making phpBB urls nicer? There is an abandoned EXT for 3.1, but my google-fu is maybe not so strong as I couldn't find an EXT for the same purpose for 3.2.
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

most likely not since it is something that is way outdated and not needed for any real benefit to the board or the users etc.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Please let’s not get in to another ‘SEO’ discussion. I think everything that needs to be said has been over the last ten years. The OP has made a request let’s see what transpires.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

potku

Post by potku » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 am

I could care less about SEO. :) I just want the urls to look nicer, and for me, that's a huge benefit. Ugly urls hurt my eyes. But if there is a request, I will check it out, thanks!

EDIT: Or maybe that request is this exact topic... Well, one can hope. :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 am

cachophrastus wrote:
Can someone please write me an extension that generates "human friendly" urls. Is there an extension on the German version of phpbb?
Another look at SEO :ugeek: .
SEO
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Return to “Extension Requests”