View Source Text of Read-Only Post?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
lpetrich

View Source Text of Read-Only Post?

Post by lpetrich »

Is there any way of viewing the source text of a post without making that post editable? That is, view a post with all the BBCodes that were used to create its styling. I ask that because I recently created an archive using phpBB and I'd like to make its posts' source available as a courtesy to its users.

Someone may already have written an extension that does that, but I have been unable to find any such extension. Or has my searching been too limited? I tried "post source text" and some variations of that.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: View Source Text of Read-Only Post?

Post by KevC »

You could copy the post in to a new one and turn off the BBcode using the option at the bottom of the posting window. The only people able to edit the post would be moderators.

Disable BBCode
Disable smilies
Do not automatically parse URLs
Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Lock topic

Then you get this sort of thing
[b]That is, view a post with all the BBCodes that were used to create its styling[/b]
[i]That is, view a post with all the BBCodes that were used to create its styling[/i]
[u]That is, view a post with all the BBCodes that were used to create its styling[/u]
[code]That is, view a post with all the BBCodes that were used to create its styling[/code]
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
lpetrich

Re: View Source Text of Read-Only Post?

Post by lpetrich »

Seems like I could do that by having a popup menu on the forum pages for choosing between normal appearance and text source. Normal appearance would render the BBCodes, text source would not. So I'd have to find out how to switch the BBCode rendering on and off. Or use someone else's code for doing that.

Return to “Extension Requests”