Looking for a way to "tag" a topic with a "new posts" icon

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
larkyv

Looking for a way to "tag" a topic with a "new posts" icon

Post by larkyv » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 pm

or at least I think that's how to describe it.

Situation is this: we moved from Zetaboards free hosting to a self-hosted phpbb forum due to ZB selling out to tapatalk. There are only two of us with prior phpbb forum experience (and I'm the one with the ability to host for free forever - so "tag, you're it") - and my previous usage was WAY back in 2.0.15 or so.

There are various of us who write - either for publication, or fan-fic set in various worlds. We're moving our stuff from backup files into the new forum, and some of the people who read want to see a notification icon or some such on the list of unread posts - something which indicates that for instance, I posted a new chapter in Verinne's Tale.

Most of the people on our little forum aren't wanting to just load a New Posts list; they want the Unread Posts list (which is where they all go when they log in) to have some sort of icon indicating "new post since you last read".

If there's already something in place to handle that, please point me in the right direction. If there's not, well.... could someone come up with it?

nou nou

Re: Looking for a way to "tag" a topic with a "new posts" icon

Post by nou nou » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 pm

But that's how the board works by default, no?

The Unread Posts list lists all the topics that have received new posts since you last read anything in them. Once you read those, they won't show up in the Unread Posts page anymore.

Each topic entry on the Unread Posts page contains multiple links. Among them are the topic itself, the last post made, and the first unread post in that topic.

larkyv

Post by larkyv » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:10 am

Yes. But we have members who.... don't want to look through all that by title etc. They want an icon (gold star? *shrug*) which tells them immediately that it's something they want to read. Ideally, this would be something they could use to tag topics themselves - as "yeah, I really want to read that whenever something new shows up!"

It's hard to explain how different phpbb is from ZB. Things that were transparent to members on ZB are - not so logical (to them) on the new forum. I'm just trying to make things more comfortable for those who are left.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 am

There is already an icon at the beginning of topics with new posts.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 am

If you want users to manually tag topics, so they can find them later, there is already bookmarks and subscriptions, where you would get notifications for new posts.

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 am

There is also an extension to mark posts unread which may help identify topics that you may want to return to later.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 am

You can make your new post icon a star, that would work.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:24 am

So basically you want this link to have another icon?

That can be changed by editing ./styles/prosilver/template/navbar_header.html. Look for:

Code: Select all

<a href="{U_SEARCH_UNREAD}" role="menuitem">
	<i class="icon fa-file-o fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i><span>{L_SEARCH_UNREAD}</span>
</a>
And change that to

Code: Select all

<a href="{U_SEARCH_UNREAD}" role="menuitem">
	<i class="icon fa-star fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i><span>{L_SEARCH_UNREAD}</span>
</a>
You can use any fontawesome icon you like there.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

Return to “Extension Requests”