Edit existing FAQ for 3.2

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
bryan23

Edit existing FAQ for 3.2

Post by bryan23 »

Hi, there is an extension for 3.1 but I don't see any got 3.2 FAQ Edit. Can anyone please help to make one?
david63

Re: Edit existing FAQ for 3.2

Post by david63 »

Because of the change in core files it cannot be done as an extension - the only way is to edit core files.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
bryan23

Post by bryan23 »

I see. thanks david.
martti

Post by martti »

You could overwrite the template variable U_FAQ to your own page in an extension. (the usual page would still exist but not be linked anymore).
Ger

Post by Ger »

david63 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:43 pm Because of the change in core files it cannot be done as an extension - the only way is to edit core files.
You think?

Just did a quick peek, the help manager has quite some events to hook into. And AFAIK it should be possible to override existing language entries, so that should be everything that's needed?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
pierredu

Post by pierredu »

The difficult thing is to add entries in the blocks.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Why?
We have:

core.help_manager_add_block_before
core.help_manager_add_block_after
core.help_manager_add_question_before
core.help_manager_add_question_after
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

pierredu

Post by pierredu »

Indeed, I didn't know those events. Thanks for the pointer.
orynider
Translator
Name: Florin-Ciprian Bodin

Post by orynider »

Do help\bbcode.php and help\faq.php load in phpBB Translator ?

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2466251
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you need to ask that in the topic for the translater extension. also that extension is in alpha stage and really should not be used on a live board .

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
skybound

Post by skybound »

Really missing this extension from 3.1. Nobody able to pick it up and continue/rewrite such an extension?
Ger

Post by Ger »

I think I might be able to, but I have some other extension in Dev that also require my attention... Maybe later.
My extensions:

orynider
Translator
Name: Florin-Ciprian Bodin

Post by orynider »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm you need to ask that in the topic for the translater extension. also that extension is in alpha stage and really should not be used on a live board .

robert
Extension Request forum is good for any question about an extension request. There are other reasons not to use Mx-Translator in the ACP of a live site such this that there are more administrators and not just the webmaster that knows is in alpha stage and most features are not working.
I did put this question since FAQ have large text and may not load just the first 300 words till we add a feature to disable google translate class. Maybe I should add 'disable google translate' for files with source from same language such as English -> (to) English. I did not seen at that time a point/reason for someone to edit language files in same language, but now I see with this topic.
skybound wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:31 am Really missing this extension from 3.1. Nobody able to pick it up and continue/rewrite such an extension?
The problem is that in "help" folder help and faq files have same format as standard language files in let's say "acp" folder:
"$lang = array_merge($lang, array());" so if the author of the extension will upgrade it for 3.2. he will get a standard language files editor unless he will add ignore to the files that are outside the "help" folder.

I did try to pick it up on my server and did some edits to see how far I will reach from or to the extension that I did to google translate the language files. So, is loading the files, then You can select the FAQ file that you want to edit, and then You get the error:

Code: Select all

FAQ Manager

From here you can manage the categories in the selected file.

Note that a category named “--” is the section break for the FAQ display page.

pt_br/help/bbcode
:roll:
Ger

Post by Ger »

Well, it wasn't as easy as I first thought it would be. Especially deleting and sorting the FAQ proved difficult. I threw all that in the bin and started over with a new approach. It's way too rough to publish now, but expect a topic in Extension dev within a couple of days.

@david63; what are your thoughts concerning naming/authoring? You are of course the author of the 3.1 extension so I wouldn't want to bypass you. My approach is totally different than yours was though, so there won't be any copy/pasted code. I'm thinking of something like "FAQ manager reloaded" but I'm always bad on naming things :lol:
Are you interested in co-authoring?
My extensions:

david63

Post by david63 »

Ger wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:11 pm @david63; what are your thoughts concerning naming/authoring? You are of course the author of the 3.1 extension so I wouldn't want to bypass you
I have no views one way or the other - go ahead and call it whatever you want - it's yours
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “Extension Requests”