Keeping forum topics in order

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
lavalamp213

Keeping forum topics in order

Post by lavalamp213 »

Hi-

I know that normally it is an advantage to have topics move up on the list in a forum when they are active, but I am creating some forums on my board for study groups and would prefer to keep the topics in a certain, numbered, order.

The number of topics is fixed per forum so there is no issue of more topics being added to a given forum being used for this purpose.

So for example:

Forum: Study Group A
-Topic 1
-Topic 2
-Topic 3
etc. to 15

People will be posting to any topic they like and each time they do, the order will change as the most recent post will move that topic to the top.

So my question is, is there a way to prevent that and keep the topics in the numerical order they were created in, regardless of which has the most recent posts added to it?

Thanks!
david63

Re: Keeping forum topics in order

Post by david63 »

But users can view topics in any order they want so even if you could "fix" them individual users may not see them in that order.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

david63 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:54 am But users can view topics in any order they want so even if you could "fix" them individual users may not see them in that order.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. That's true if they are checking "Active Topics" or something like that, but when members go to an individual forum, don't they all see the same thing, the topics in whatever current order they appear?

Like this:
2018-08-20 01.05.38 pm.png
david63

Post by david63 »

A user can set the display options in their UCP
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

david63 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:48 am A user can set the display options in their UCP
Okay. I see what you mean. Thanks!
kasimi
Former Team Member

Post by kasimi »

You can set the default order with this extension: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... rt_topics/
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Cool, Thanks!

Return to “Extension Requests”