A menu as a forum

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
lavalamp213

A menu as a forum

Post by lavalamp213 »

I would like to create something that looks like this:

2018-08-20 01.03.44 pm.png

It's a list of links to places within the board that appears in the center of the homepage. I think I can do it with SiteMaker but it's not possible to make this appear in the middle, only the top, bottom or sides. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: A menu as a forum

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it looks like those are just subforums and if you create all those subforums they will be shown under the their main forum in phpbb anyway.

if what you are talking about is not subforums, then please explain a little better just what you want.

you can certainly create anything you want but we need to know, in detail, exactly what your final outcome is ( not how you think it can be done ) to help.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Okay- Yes, what I would like to have as a final outcome is one group of sub-forums to appear as a list of links like in the picture I attached. I'm sorry I don't know how to explain with words better than the picture shows.

here is a link to the page where I got the pic: http://www.tarotforum.net/

You will see the section in the middle called "Tarot Study Groups". That's exactly what I want to create, that group of subforums, sitting within the list of regular forums on the home page.

My home page looks like this: https://www.cultoftarotforum.com and set between the 2nd and 3rd category, I would like to have another category or forum (whichever would work) that is this list of subforums like in the pic.

The idea is to group a bunch of sub-forums on the home page, where they are more accessible rather than them being layers deep.

Again, I apologise for not being able to describe it more elegantly.
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecesary quoting.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

ok, that is standard phpbb. you create a forum of the type forum. under that forum, you create all the subforums you want.
make sure you click the box that says to display under parent.

if you are wanting to move forums you already have created then you can do that from the admin panel as well.

once you have it all setup, you then move that new main forum up to where you want it to display.

in order to make the list show in columns like your picture, you can either find an extension or you can edit a couple of template files to create it.
EDIT: here is one that was in development for 3.1 that says it should work in 3.2:
https://github.com/rxu/List_subforums_in_columns

here is a link to the edits to make two columns:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2154341
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Thanks Robert. I'm going to try the github one. It sounds like exactly what I need.
The other probably is also but it looks a bit over my head to implement.
dio33

Post by dio33 »

lavalamp213 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 pm Thanks Robert. I'm going to try the github one. It sounds like exactly what I need.
The other probably is also but it looks a bit over my head to implement.
Hello, did you manage to get the Extension to work in 3.2.2?
AbuHossam

Post by AbuHossam »

Same request.
But are there different colors?
Sorry, I'm using google translate. Try to understand the meaning of my words.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Hi- sorry for the slow reply, I've been away.

TBH- I never got it installed. I downloaded it and ftp'd to my server but it didn't show up in the extensions list. I am sure this is my fault. I've only used extensions available from the phpbb site, and this one was on github. I am afraid I am not technical enough to sort it out myself.

In the meanwhile, I am utilising a "Sitemaker" block which will suffice for the time being but eventually, as I need to add more links, I would like to employ this extension so I'm hoping it gets added to the phpbb list of extensions at some point.

Sorry to not be more help.
jan_2017

Post by jan_2017 »

Return to “Extension Requests”