PhpBB Personal Experience

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Mohus

PhpBB Personal Experience

Post by Mohus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Intro:

Target
An Extension will target 2 groups of users:
1]Content Creator and
2]Content Seekers.

Purpose

For Content Seekers
1] User (Content Seekers) Sees Topics of specific User Groups [could be turned off] By Default.
2] User Has the option to Add other Users or/and User Groups To the Feed.
3]No topics should be displayed it it is not allowed by users from the conditions above.

For Content Creator
1] Has a landing Page [Group Page] That lists the latest & Popular Topic of the Group.
2] Option to approve posts only for that group.

Groups already exist in phpBB
Users will not have to deal with SPAM since what they see is what they want, not the other way around.
Every group (which is already part of phpBB) will manage its own section and there will be a spirit of competition among forum groups.
Users will see the content that is more relatable to them as soon as they visit the forum, no need to navigate from one section to the other.
A good use of the Group system will be put to use.

If you have any idea that could make this better please share it.

Questions:
You want to turn phpBB into Facebook, Twitter and Youtube?
No, phpBB will be the exact same code and script, only giving the user the option of what to see, if anything it will have Facebook, Twitter and Youtube Content in it.

Will it increase the load on the server?
Not sure, however if people see what they only want to see it will be unlikely that they will use the search system or jump from one forum to another.

What is wrong with the current way?

The internet is not what it use to be, One subject could have millions on content and the traditional way of (Listing) is not practical. Why not let the users choose what and who they want to see.
This way the visitor will do 80% (maybe) of the work on knowing which directions the Forum (site) should take base on the majority of the site users.

How will site owners benefit from this?
If you Have a products each product is a group.
If you have a news forum each news section is a group (Politics, Sports ..etc)
If you have education forum each Subject is a group (Programing, Math...etc)

If I am into math and every time I loge in the site I see math topics, the site will feel as if it is made only for me. My Personal Home Page.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: PhpBB Personal Experience

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 pm

you can do most of that with the current permissions system.

create your groups,
create the forums you want.

set group forum permissions to only have access to the forum you desire.
'
make the groups open groups so that users can join the groups they want.

now, when a user visits, they will only the the forums they have permission to see based on the group that they belong to.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Mohus

Post by Mohus » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks Lumpy Burgertushie

True Permissions along with Groups are an extremely powerful feature that did not get its full potential and thrust in the front end.

Which makes personalizing PhpBB a minor display tweak that relies in most on those features (Permissions and Groups).

The display or what the user sees is what will happen.

Instead of registering and logging in than going to groups (assuming the new user even knows about its existence).. is an extra work (that the user might not even know about) making this powerful feature usable and accessible.

For example
An Education site (forum) as khanacademy ... when the user logs in he will see (after login) choices (which are basically groups). The user will select Math, English and Biology -- Click Submit and than he is set to these choices (groups)

Basically moving the user group system to be used mainly by the users (as content choice) instead of admins only.

This will bypass the Forum list (since there is no need for it because the choice are already made) and the user will only see the topics he/she is interested in.

-Less search and/or navigation on top level
-Faster access to desired content

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:10 am

there is a extension here called "auto groups" or something like that. check it out to see if it does what you want.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “Extension Requests”