Remote File Upload

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
jz123

Remote File Upload

Post by jz123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm

I really want to add remote file upload to my forum.

I know there exist a mod for 3.0 ( https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... nt_upload/ ), and tried to add it / modify it for phpbb 3.2 but couldn't get it to work. (I know it's abit 'dirty' to edit it instead of writing a extension, but what ever works.)
Figured that most of the upload function is done now in phpbb/attachments/upload.php if i'm correct.

For who wonders why i want it, it is becouse i prefer to have the images uploaded to my own forum, so it could become a archive and i'm 100% sure the images will never be deleted. Instead of saving it to the PC and then re-upload it, making it a less hassle.

The only topics i could find about it for 3.1 or 3.2 where:
viewtopic.php?t=2385346
viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2451476
Which both led to no results.

If someone knows how to modify it, or up to write a extension or mayby needs it also and wants to try to figure it out together let me know!

John connor

Re: Remote File Upload

Post by John connor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Mods don't work in phpBB 3.1.x forward. Mods are now extensions.

Check this out: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/aws_s3/

I use it and it works, but it may a have learning curve, and as of right now it only works with up to PHP 7.1.

jz123

Post by jz123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm

John connor wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 pm
Mods don't work in phpBB 3.1.x forward. Mods are now extensions.

Check this out: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/aws_s3/

I use it and it works, but it may a have learning curve, and as of right now it only works with up to PHP 7.1.
Hi thanks for the reply, i know i just wanted to give it as example.And i know its now about extensions, but still if i can get it work by modding i dont mind also (even if its not the clean and preferred method.)

But does that enable remote file uploading? Since what i understand ( and also planned to install in future) its only for attachment distribution for load balancing. Which is totally different from what i want.
I just want to paste a url which will make it remote file upload. instead of only option to add from your local pc.

John connor

Post by John connor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:12 am

I really don't understand what you want to do. Are you wanting to shift from attachments being stored on your forum? Or are you wanting to simply share a link to an attachment? That can be done by simply sharing a link from Google Drive, Azure, Mega, Box, etc.

jz123

Post by jz123 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:52 pm

John connor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:12 am
I really don't understand what you want to do. Are you wanting to shift from attachments being stored on your forum? Or are you wanting to simply share a link to an attachment? That can be done by simply sharing a link from Google Drive, Azure, Mega, Box, etc.
No, it has nothing to do with external cloud servers, its simply that i want to upload attachments by url also, not only from your pc.
Like the avatar option:
Upload from a URL:
Enter the URL of the location containing the image. The image will be copied to this site.

John connor

Post by John connor » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm still not clear what you are wanting. Can you give an example?

Are you wanting someone to paste their URL and that attachment shows up?

Edit-

Okay, I now know what you want. Yeah, that would require an extension. But to tell you the truth, remote file upload comes with hacking potential and an open invitation to malware. There's phpmussel that can scan uploads, but it doesn't interface with phpBB and needs an extension to hook right. I aksed about that here and no one took interest.

There is a BBCode you could use if you want someone to remote upload, or rather "host" a file from a FTP directory.

jz123

Post by jz123 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:57 pm

John connor wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 pm
I'm still not clear what you are wanting. Can you give an example?

Are you wanting someone to paste their URL and that attachment shows up?

Edit-

Okay, I now know what you want. Yeah, that would require an extension. But to tell you the truth, remote file upload comes with hacking potential and an open invitation to malware. There's phpmussel that can scan uploads, but it doesn't interface with phpBB and needs an extension to hook right. I aksed about that here and no one took interest.

There is a BBCode you could use if you want someone to remote upload, or rather "host" a file from a FTP directory.
I dont see the extra security risks besides that there already now is with uploading attachments. And in the end its restricted only for images and media files on my forum.

Return to “Extension Requests”