Making posts before a certain date invisible for guest users

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
yan.kun0567

Making posts before a certain date invisible for guest users

Post by yan.kun0567 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Hello together,

following situation. I'm currently maintaining a forum, which boards were for years invisible to guest users. As activity over the years dropped down, I'm now planing to make the forum visible to guest users, so that posts can be shared on facebook and to improve the find-ability(?) over search engines like google. We are talking over several 10000 posts.

However a few people are currently complaining about their posts beeing suddenly "public" soon eventually and they afraid google will steal "their" data (even if registration is not validated by anyone). So I would like to offer them the option, to mark all their own posts as private, so that guests can't see their posts until logged in. If possible, users should be able to enter a date, from which on their would like their posts beeing "private" or "public" (e.G. please mark everything before the 1/1/2019 private).

Has somebody an idea for an extension to manage this? Or do I have develop my own? Without looking to much into the dev docs, is such a change on the security and visibility system even possible? From the point of view of the rights management acp this already looks quit complex.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Jan

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Making posts before a certain date invisible for guest users

Post by david63 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 pm

yan.kun0567 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm
they afraid google will steal "their" data
Google does not "steal" anything - it only indexes it.

Easiest way is to just set permissions so that Guests & Bots cannot read the fora that you want hidden. If you just want to "hide" old topics then move them to an archive forum with appropriate permissions set.

If yoy try setting the visibility option for each user then you will be putting a heavy load on your server and you run the risk of topics becoming disjointed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “Extension Requests”