[Request] Cascade deletions to quotes

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
Esternial

[Request] Cascade deletions to quotes

Post by Esternial »

Hi,

I'll keep it brief to avoid taking up too much of your time, my question is quite simple:

When deleting a post as a Moderator on a phpBB forum, is it possible to cascade this deletion down to the posts in which it was quoted?

Take for instance a case where someone has posted some personal information which, in retrospect, they want to have removed. It is quite easy to have the post itself deleted, but I am unsure if this deletion would then impact the posts where it is quoted. On the forum on which I am active, this is not the case.

Would it not be safer and more efficient to provide this functionality as some kind of checkbox which, when checked, would automagically remove the content from the deleted post from any posts that quote it (eg. replacing it with some standard "this post has been deleted" text)?

I'm not sure if this is viable to implement (or if it is already available) so I'd appreciate some feedback.
Toxyy

Re: [Request] Cascade deletions to quotes

Post by Toxyy »

I haven't fully looked into this extension, just the functions it uses, but the workings of this functionality are in here:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ted_where/
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Ger

Post by Ger »

Toxyy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm I haven't fully looked into this extension, just the functions it uses, but the workings of this functionality are in here:
That (my) extension only changes the name in the quote. So if you were removed or have your name changed, above quote would be:
Anonymous wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm I haven't fully looked into this extension, just the functions it uses, but the workings of this functionality are in here:
IMO, it would also be a very bad idea to delete the entire quote from other users posts.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

Given that the quote tag now supports a post_id attribute, it would be possible to delete all quotes of that post that use that post_id attribute, but it wouldn't catch cases where the post contents were quoted but not marked with that post_id (and I think trying to do so using a find/replace could be very dangerous).

That being said, I don't think it is a good idea to allow a non-moderator user (e.g. User A) to permanently change the content of another user's (User B) post, even if that content is a quote of User A's deleted post. If I were to quote someone's post and reply only to it, and then they delete their post and the quote goes away, my post loses context and therefore may make no sense to future readers of the thread.

I think it should be up to the user to contact moderators if he finds that deleted, personal information has been quoted somewhere, so that they can remove it in a way that makes sense but still makes the thread readable.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

imkingdavid wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:09 pm Given that the quote tag now supports a post_id attribute, it would be possible to delete all quotes of that post that use that post_id attribute, ....
If everyone quoted correctly, then yes, But I've seen posts (not on phpBB.com - yet) with multiquotes not properly done and the poster then trying to correct them and ending up with wrongly nested quotes or quotes with incorrect post_id references (see example below - click on the post_id link, on the user_id and have a look at the time).
imkingdavid wrote: Thu Nov 29, 1973 9:33 pm Given that the quote tag now supports a post_id attribute, it would be possible to delete all quotes of that post that use that post_id attribute, ....
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “Extension Requests”