post topics to Twitter

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
TheButcher2

post topics to Twitter

Post by TheButcher2 »

Hi

Is there a way to automatically post new topics and or posts to a Twitter account ?

Peace
nou nou

Re: post topics to Twitter

Post by nou nou »

With services like dlvr.it you can. Not free though (unless you have very little traffic...)
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

I tried dlvr.it already, but it's rather expensive for an active forum. Anything free, less expensive?

I am surprised no one has come up with an extension for this, getting forum posts automatically posted on social sites is good business.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The opposite line of thinking would be that people don't want everything everywhere all the time.

Twitter and forums are two entirely different platforms. I suspect there isn't already an extension because the two things don't really fit together very well.

If a topic is posted on the forum and then copied over to twitter, which one do people reply to? You have the same thing twice with 2 different reply streams running with different usernames.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

The reason fo posting topics on Twitter and other social sites is to drive awareness and interaction on the forum. But you are entitled to your opinion.
Well if there is such an extension or someone wants to build be it would be nice

Peace
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I know what you're saying but they two don't fit well together. It's one thing to promote your site, that's fine, but duplicating content isn't always the right way to do it. Think about any company that sells a product. They don't post every product on every platform. They advertise their company as a whole and might only promote a particular product at the right time.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
elawrenc

Post by elawrenc »

Well, hmmm... Not sure I totally agree with this last statement. First, there are a ton of users out there that don't particularly care to be on multiple website forums and social media. If you run the type of forum that has lots of product announcements or artists or musician gigs, you want to get the word out.
Posting to Twitter and Facebook is great to reach to the people that might not be engaging with your website. Hopefully you get some conversions but even if you dont, at least you have followers engaging with your "brand" for lack of a better word, on some level socially.

Anyway, I digress.

I have been using this plugin, Social Sharing w/Dynamic Opengraph Tags, up until about 6 months ago. It was working great with a few minor caveats but now It is now causing a few issues with my site and had to be disabled.

This is a GREAT plugin that will allow you to tweet your post and there are settings to fine tune whether you want to tweet individual posts or the whole thread.

What is really great about this extension is it will pull an image from your post and tweet that along with a snippet of that post.
It definitely needs more work, updating and some enhancements would be nice. I am willing to help collab and code with someone as well as providing the testing but I haven't coded an extenstion before, sorry to say, even though I've been coding in PHP for a while now.

I'd prefer to team up with someone on this and once I get a handle on how it works I can always take over the coding if need be.

Here is the info...

P.S. I tried to email Jeff a few months back but never heard from him, so I assume he's moved on...

Social Sharing w/Dynamic Opengraph Tags
Clean Name: lotusjeff/socialshare
Description: Social Sharing w/Dynamic Opengraph and Twitter Cards. Provides social sharing icons w/ supporting data.
Version: 1.0.0
Homepage: https://github.com/LotusJeff/socialshare
Licence: GPL-2.0
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

elawrenc wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:18 pm
Social Sharing w/Dynamic Opengraph Tags
viewtopic.php?f=501&t=2343081&start=165#p14763521
elawrenc

Post by elawrenc »

Yeah. That's the topic for the abandoned mod. I'm looking for another developer to work with to pick up where the original developer left off.

The code is still available in GitHub
ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

if you tried dlvr.it you need custom dev.
elawrenc

Post by elawrenc »

Already using dlvr.it with Smartfeed and that works pretty well.

But this extension is awesome for when you want to quickly blast something out to Twitter/Facebook manually...

Return to “Extension Requests”