Ignore a topic

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
new.new

Ignore a topic

Post by new.new » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:56 pm

I'd like an extension that allows users to ignore a topic.

There was an old extension that did it, but now it's not maintained and it doesn't work on recent versions of phpbb, but maybe you can find it useful: viewtopic.php?f=434&t=2104240

Here is a recent discussion about this idea: viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2493616&p=15171361
I think expecially this post is particulary useful: viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2493616&p=15171361#p15171611
In the discussion it's also proposed to introduce the ability to ignore an entire sub-forum. For my needs, it's enought to give the possibility to ignore single topics, but if you want to implement also this option it can be useful for other users

Jim Dominic

Re: Ignore a topic

Post by Jim Dominic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am

If this helps, a little thing I developed that hides posts by people on a user's "Foes" list.

Definitely not the same as being able to ignore a topic--an option I'd like to have as well--just haven't the time to devote to trying to code it.

https://github.com/jimdominic/phpbb-hide-foes

Please note that I am not actively developing this and I am not planning to submit it to phpBB for consideration. If someone else wants to fool with it, feel free.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 am

Thanks a ton for that Jim, I'll be making an extension that essentially blocks/hides foes from the forum for users and I'll probably use this as a base.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

Jim Dominic

Post by Jim Dominic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm

FWIW, I've uploaded a ZIP file with incomplete code I had been working on to hide topics posted by foes.

What I really wanted to do was to have a selection button for each topic in the viewforum view, so that the use could add the topic to a list, which I believe was how that older Hide Topics mod worked, or at least how it was intended to work. Sort of like having a zebra function and database table as is done for "foes".

But I am thwarted by my lack of time and capability.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:39 pm

@ Jim Dominic
I like your profile picture!! (although I suggest dropping the suit ;) , keep the shades)
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

paulie

Post by paulie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Toxyy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 am
I'll be making an extension that essentially blocks/hides foes from the forum for users and I'll probably use this as a base.
Now this sounds VERY interesting.

One quick question if I may: Would your Extension also hide posts made by 'Foes' in Quotes too?
'Life in the Air Age isn't all the brochures say ...'

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 am

paulie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Would your Extension also hide posts made by 'Foes' in Quotes too?
Unlikely, but may be possible in the future... I would need to modify Ger's quoted where extension to provide the functionality first. I need to do this for editing anonymous posts in my other extension, so after I do that, and after everything else is done in the extension, I'll consider it.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

paulie

Post by paulie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:56 am

Toxyy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 am
paulie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Would your Extension also hide posts made by 'Foes' in Quotes too?
Unlikely, but may be possible in the future... I would need to modify Ger's quoted where extension to provide the functionality first. I need to do this for editing anonymous posts in my other extension, so after I do that, and after everything else is done in the extension, I'll consider it.
One thing at a time! Thanks for the response though, really looking forward to the Extension :)
'Life in the Air Age isn't all the brochures say ...'

new.new

Post by new.new » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:09 am

any update?

Jim Dominic

Post by Jim Dominic » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Re: the request for an option to ignore an entire subforum...what I did on my forum was to set up open user groups, each of which is set for "No Access" for a specific subforum. Users can join any such open user group.

For example, to set up an option to "ignore" the "Extension Requests" subforum, I would set up an open user group named "Hide Extension Requests Subforum", then set the forum access for that group to "No Access" for the Extension Requests subforum. Easy to do and uses the existing phpBB functionality.

gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am

I started similar topic: viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2504416 (White/black lists for users/topics/subforums OR Advanved Quick links)

My goal is to work in two modes:

* 1. follow only white list - search for new posts of fiends.
* 2. hide topics of foes
* 3. user option to hide specific sub-forums, like Offtopic section or some specialized (like I am not interested in German/French lang but on English only)

The problem is not to hide posts but about efficient notification/update list - I am not interested in foes activity or some subforums at all.

Return to “Extension Requests”