User password utility on administer user page?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Jeffstev

User password utility on administer user page?

Post by Jeffstev » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 pm

There are several quick tools when administering the user, but the one that’s missing would solve 99% of the dozen or so requests I get each day and would do the following with One Click

1)Reset the password for the user to one we choose and store in the db for all password resets like this (use stored replacement password). We change it every so often, but let’s get real... this is a bbs, not a bank.

2) send an email to the user giving them their username, their new password, the link to the login page and a signature of the board.

Anything like this? I’ve searched to no avail.

Jeff

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: User password utility on administer user page?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu May 02, 2019 8:05 pm

why not just tell them to click on the "lost password" link on the login form?
then you don't have to do anything.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

EA117

Re: User password utility on administer user page?

Post by EA117 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:11 pm

I'll throw out a guess that it's because "My 1000’s of users are mostly over 75 yrs old so keeping things simple is important." 😉

Regarding "I forgot my password", you don't even have to convince them to click on that link. You can click on it for them. Someone who is invoking the "I forgot my password" (ucp.php?mode=sendpassword) link is not logged on, and could invoke that process for anyone whom they know the email address.

So if you received a password reset request from GrettaSilverFox1943@aol.com, you could go to a logged-out session and invoke ucp.php?mode=sendpassword for that email address. You could even customize that email template a little bit, so that the standard email phpBB sends feels more like a "personal response", even though you're initiating the same reset ability everybody already had access to.

Yes, even if you did like the idea of using the existing reset process rather than "resetting back to a fixed and known password", an extension that lets you initiate this right from the ACP would still be helpful. A kind of "Force password change" option, just like the existing "Force reactivation". So that you don't even have to know or cut-n-paste the email address, nor go to a logged-out session to invoke the process.

Return to “Extension Requests”