Seo url

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
ibrahimisahin

Seo url

Post by ibrahimisahin » Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Hello,For phpbb Is there a seo url?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Extension Requests

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Seo url

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun May 05, 2019 1:14 pm

No, and despite what you might think there is no need for one. Please read the SEO link in my sig

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy » Sun May 05, 2019 3:16 pm

I'll try to expand one time on all of the requests regarding SEO URL's.
I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion, just stating the 'state' as it is.
Also I'll try to keep it short and simple, without too many technical (code) terms.

First of all, it has nothing to do with actual SEO, as been stated over and over again.
So let's call them "Human readable URL's" for the sake of it.

Current state
As you can imagine, links are all over the board / internet. So simply changing them all to something else will break all current occurrences. Changing viewtopic.php?t=123 to topic/My-topic-title will result in all previous links being broken. Now there are ways around that, but all of them are suboptimal.

Future state
phpBB uses a framework called Symfony which uses so called "routes". Most of the current extensions already use them. This makes URL's way more human readable. There are already some occurrences within the core aswell, for example the FAQ page: help/faq and help/bbcode. Instead of help.php?mode=bbcode they are turned into help/bbcode.
While extensions are already using these (and some of the core), most of it is not, but it is being worked on. Unfortunately it's a major operation and that will take time. However, once done, it will mean that all occurrences (for example viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2) will change (for example topic/2/My-first-topic).

I know this might not be very soothing for the current situation, but that's the downfall of an ever evolving Open Source Software used by many.
phpBB Studio / ''Proud member of the Studio"

ibrahimisahin

Post by ibrahimisahin » Sun May 05, 2019 7:57 pm

mrgoldy wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:16 pm
I'll try to expand one time on all of the requests regarding SEO URL's.

I know this might not be very soothing for the current situation, but that's the downfall of an ever evolving Open Source Software used by many.
Okay thank you
Last edited by KevC on Sun May 05, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed a lot of unnecessary quoting

Return to “Extension Requests”