Auto prune a forum based on Topic replies

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
mrgtb

Auto prune a forum based on Topic replies

Post by mrgtb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm

There is an option with any new forum you create to use the auto-prune feature for that forum. But, the only auto prune options you have is to remove topics based on View Age or Last Post age.

Can somebody make an extension mod so it also adds the option to auto prune a forum based on Topic Replies, so only topics are pruned after so many days you set if they have no replies to the topic. But any topics with replies are not removed (pruned).

This for is very useful if you run something like a forum used for pulling in RSS Feeds (using the RSS poster mod here) and then setting the forum up so any older RSS feeds with no replies get pruned on the time you set in days, but any RSS Feeds on that forum with replies made don't get removed for further discussion after it gets at least 1 reply

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Auto prune a forum based on Topic replies

Post by david63 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:44 pm

How would you deal with, say, Announcements that are posted in a forum and then locked so that there are no replies - would it still be a requirement to purge these?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

mrgtb

Re: Auto prune a forum based on Topic replies

Post by mrgtb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:52 pm

david63 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:44 pm
How would you deal with, say, Announcements that are posted in a forum and then locked so that there are no replies - would it still be a requirement to purge these?
No. That slipped my mind that some settings don't prune like Sticky, Polls or Announcements, that might be locked for no replies. I can only think maybe the Prune Threads with no replies should "exclude" them 3 things, so they still work as intended in the auto prune settings.

Only staff are going to post Sticky and Announcement topics usually, which you do want to remain intact. As far as polls go, which is more the problem I think you mean, you can always disable Polls from not being used on any forum you auto prune anyway, or even only let staff create polls on that forum using forum permissions to work around members creating too many polls with no replies and remaining undeleted (not pruned)

Return to “Extension Requests”