Members must maintain a minimum average post count to remain in a Group

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
brisbanexxx

Members must maintain a minimum average post count to remain in a Group

Post by brisbanexxx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:25 am

THE PROBLEM

I'm looking for an extension that would be very useful to my forums, which is very much based on a forum section that requires an initial proof of member value and validity by sharing of a new lead for their first contribution.

We have just moved from a shitty ActiveBoard forum to PhPBB and are starting from scratch. Users have had to physically register from scratch again on the new forum and it has become apparent that there are about 30% of members who are registered, confirmed and active as far as logging in on an almost daily basis - but are essentially just long term lurkers.

The problem is, we have many members who are doing the right thing and contributing beyond what is expected of them, there are also these lurker members who have gained access through the initial screening, but have since either contributed a one or two original topics to the forum community over a couple of years, or some have maybe commented on other peoples topics (which brings their post count up), or others just plain out have not posted at all since they got access.

The "require users to have a minimum post history for forum access" rule won't work, because the non-contributing members in question might actually have 10 or 20 posts - problem is that they are all just general comments and reply's on other peoples topics/leads, which they are reaping the benefits of for themselves.

I also don't want to just run a prune and delete the members who have low post counts, because whilst they are currently of zero value to our forum community, some have been lurking on a very regular basis for 4-5 years (or more), which shows they are active and have a high potential of being a really good contributor, if they were just given a little "Encouragement" ;)

WHAT I WOULD LIKE AS AN EXTENSION TO HELP SOLVE IT

I would like to have an extension that can be set to require all members who are in the Group that has access permissions to maintain a minimum level of activity by way of overall contribution to the forums.

This would be something like:

* "Members must make at least 2 posts on the forum for every calendar months or 4 week period during which they have logged in. (These posts can be comments on other members topics or even in the open access forum area)

* "Members must submit at least one lead Topic in the restricted access forum (to be approved) every 2 month or 8 week period, to demonstrate their continued contribution"

* "If member fails to meet the required minimum activity criteria, they will be automatically moved from the special access group and put into a "Active Lurker" group, which will have the minimum permissions to allow them to PM Admin to rectify things should they wish to be reinstated."

I think I have explained that in enough detail for everyone, hopefully one of you amazingly smart people can come up with something for me!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Members must maintain a minimum average post count to remain in a Group

Post by KevC » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 am

You might be able to work around it with this
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

There are several criteria you can set for group membership and then set access to certain forums to those groups.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:53 am

Auto Groups is not that sophisticated Kev - the best that you can do, in this instance, is move between groups based on total posts.

It might be possible with an extension for Auto Groups that I am working on but the requirements would need to be pared down as the variable appear to be quite complex (and addional data storage may be required)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

brisbanexxx

Post by brisbanexxx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks for the responses :)

Yes, I have considered the possibility that an extention to Auto Groups might be able to do this, but its still way beyond my capability.

Possibly the variables could be reduced somewhat by essentially "resyncronizing" the users "start time" so that regardless of how recent their last post was before the extention install, they would all start from 0 at activation, or even from a "start date" through to "End Date" (being the cut off time in which the user was able to make the required posts...

Its 3am here... I've been awake for stupid amounts of time... brain not working haha

If someone could figure out a way to include the parameters to do this, I would be forever greatful!

Fast_Eddie
Name: Ed

Post by Fast_Eddie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 pm

I would very much like something like this! And will be watching this topic! :)

EDIT: Years back there was ext/mod out for vbullitan that would check your post-per-day ratio and adjust permissions on that stat . I liked it because it counted total posts to the board. :mrgreen:

brisbanexxx

Post by brisbanexxx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Something pretty much exactly like this?

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthr ... sts+topics

I'm amazed it hasn't already been done for phpbb

brisbanexxx

Post by brisbanexxx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Fast_Eddie wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 pm
I would very much like something like this! And will be watching this topic! :)

EDIT: Years back there was ext/mod out for vbullitan that would check your post-per-day ratio and adjust permissions on that stat . I liked it because it counted total posts to the board. :mrgreen:

as posted above

I'm tempted to move to vbulletin

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:32 pm

brisbanexxx wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm
Are you willing to pay xxx$ for a product that had/has many (new) errors introduced in the latest versions and that charges for any kind of support? (which from what I've seen on Vbulletin boards is also slow coming forward).
Seriously, quite a few of the free forum softwares are better, with phpBB IMHO being the best but acquaintances of mine are quite happy with MyBB and SMF (objectively based on features, extensibility and support).

Having choices is a good thing but make sure your choice has a good foundation and don't drop a product because it has a few things missing (no forumsoftware is complete).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

brisbanexxx

Post by brisbanexxx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am

warmweer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:32 pm
brisbanexxx wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm
Are you willing to pay xxx$ for a product that had/has many (new) errors introduced in the latest versions and that charges for any kind of support? (which from what I've seen on Vbulletin boards is also slow coming forward).
Seriously, quite a few of the free forum softwares are better, with phpBB IMHO being the best but acquaintances of mine are quite happy with MyBB and SMF (objectively based on features, extensibility and support).

Having choices is a good thing but make sure your choice has a good foundation and don't drop a product because it has a few things missing (no forumsoftware is complete).
I feel like phpbb 3.2.x has a so far much more limited number of features etc... whilst extensions are generally much easier for the layman like myself to add, they are so limited at the moment and so many solid features that really should just be there by default are not...

A bit off topic I know and the first vBulletin hack that I posted as example here is in fact no longer supported, so irony, but I really do hope phpbb can come through on this. It is a great platform, it just feels a little limited since the old MODs have become redundant.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 am

brisbanexxx wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am
I feel like phpbb 3.2.x has a so far much more limited number of features etc... whilst extensions are generally much easier for the layman like myself to add, they are so limited at the moment and so many solid features that really should just be there by default are not...
The premise of phpBB is that the basic package is fairly minimal to avoid coding bloat. Then people request what they want and see if someone can make an extension for it.

Now some of those requests are fairly simple and minimal and add something useful and so get made pretty quickly. Other requests are highly specific to what one person wants on their board and may be more complex than people think they are. They are far less likely to get made because it's a lot of work by a coder to make something that won't benefit a wide range of people.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Fast_Eddie

Post by Fast_Eddie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:39 pm

I was not trying to start a debate on forum software, I am very happy with phpbb! :) Was simply pointing out a feature from the above mentioned that would be very useful for myself and other admins. A post-per-day ratio that can be set for members to maintain for continued access for different functions of a board. :mrgreen:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 pm

now you will have to be patient and see if anyone other than you thinks it is a good idea and knows how to create an extension for that purpose.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 am

The concern would be that it sounds like a spam generator. Haven't made the quota today? Post a load of 'cool' or 'yep I agree' posts just to make up the numbers so you can post what you really want to in the forum you can't see because you don't have enough posts.
Cheap UK Hosting

Fast_Eddie

Post by Fast_Eddie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:27 pm

KevC wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 am
The concern would be that it sounds like a spam generator. Haven't made the quota today? Post a load of 'cool' or 'yep I agree' posts just to make up the numbers so you can post what you really want to in the forum you can't see because you don't have enough posts.
That would be set on my rules page , must be a real post , on topic ....etc....when it's obvious its a junk post ONE warning would be issued and repeat offenders will be loose access to the board.

Return to “Extension Requests”