pm admin only

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Lumpy Burgertushie

pm admin only

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:56 pm

hi all, I have searched and searched and I can't find where there has ever been a successful MOD or extension that restricts registered users from being able to PM anyone but an admin.

that is what my client wants.

he says he used to have it in 3.0 and now that he is upgraded to 3.2 he would like to have it.

I have found no evidence that he had such a MOD in the 3.0 files but I take his word that he had it before.

anyway, is there someway to do this? I can't figure out any combinations of permissions that would do it.

thanks,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Dan Stylez

Re: pm admin only

Post by Dan Stylez » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 am

Been asked this myself a few times as some admins don't want members to use the pm system for security etc. Ended up putting the contact us link in the profile field but not all admins use the same email for the forum so it's not an ideal solution.

I've just seen this though: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... act_admin/
phpBB extension that allows guests and/or registered users to either send an email/send a PM to admins or make a Post in a designated forum. It also overrides the default contact admin link found on the forum. A port of the phpBB 3.0.x mod “Contact Board Administration”
Always encouraging people to take back control and not be held to ransom.
Often found lurking over at TapaTalk.
#GlutenFree

dingus33

Post by dingus33 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 am

Dan Stylez wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 am
Been asked this myself a few times as some admins don't want members to use the pm system for security etc. Ended up putting the contact us link in the profile field but not all admins use the same email for the forum so it's not an ideal solution.
if you want to extend that approach, you could route the messages to the admins on the email end. like create filters/rules on the main admin email address to forward the support request emails to the other admins. gmail and many other email services have this kind of feature. i just suggest it because it's a simple, low effort solution.

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 pm

dingus33 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 am
Dan Stylez wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:16 am
if you want to extend that approach, you could route the messages to the admins on the email end. like create filters/rules on the main admin email address to forward the support request emails to the other admins. gmail and many other email services have this kind of feature. i just suggest it because it's a simple, low effort solution.
That's a great suggestion, I'll try that :)
Always encouraging people to take back control and not be held to ransom.
Often found lurking over at TapaTalk.
#GlutenFree

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:56 pm
restricts registered users from being able to PM anyone but an admin.

[snip]

anyway, is there someway to do this? I can't figure out any combinations of permissions that would do it.
Quickly threw this together, but haven't had a chance to test it.
Attachments
PM_Admin.zip
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 pm

thank you very much. I will give it a try. haven't heard back from my client since I posted this but we will see.

thanks,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “Extension Requests”