Invalid Email Detection During Registration

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Exclusive

Invalid Email Detection During Registration

Post by Exclusive »

Is there any extension to detect an invalid email during registration? For example, some users are ignorant on how to enter their email address during registration. I sometimes see some inactive users with email address like: wwww.name@gmail.com, as a result of the wrong email entered, the users can not activate their account.
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Extension Requests
Use Search Button to get Instant Results | Follow Forum Rules
Avoid Spams in the forum to prevent banning the offending account. | ⟿ Visit My Awesome phpBB Forum! ⬳

Best Web Hosting with 99.9% Uptime! | ✔ Buy Cheap Domain Names

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Invalid Email Detection During Registration

Post by warmweer »

Exclusive wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 pm
Is there any extension to detect an invalid email during registration? For example, some users are ignorant on how to enter their email address during registration. I sometimes see some inactive users with email address like: wwww.name@gmail.com, as a result of the wrong email entered, the users can not activate their account.

Code: Select all

wwww.name@gmail.com
is an invalid email address ... because it turns out to be non-assigned.
Something you only find out after trying to send a mail to that address. (unless it contains illegal characters or is malformed)
see https://help.returnpath.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ss-syntax-
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Also bear in mind that whatever checks you perform an email that is valid today may not be valid tomorrow!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:34 pm
Exclusive wrote:

Code: Select all

wwww.name@gmail.com
is an invalid email address ... because it turns out to be non-assigned.
Something you only find out after trying to send a mail to that address. (unless it contains illegal characters or is malformed)
see https://help.returnpath.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ss-syntax-
okay, now I understand possibly because it is "not-assigned". That means adding the "confirm email" extension in the registration page may help out?
Avoid Spams in the forum to prevent banning the offending account. | ⟿ Visit My Awesome phpBB Forum! ⬳

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Exclusive wrote:
For example, some users are ignorant on how to enter their email address during registration.
Really?
It's one of the most common things they have to do on the internet. And in fact the reg page asks you for it twice in case you typed it in wrongly.
It's not uncommon at all for people to sign up to a site and never actually come back. Since Jan 1st this year this site already has 16 people who have never signed in.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Exclusive wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:56 pm
okay, now I understand possibly because it is "not-assigned". That means adding the "confirm email" extension in the registration page may help out?
It will most certainly help in limiting the number of accidental errors.

But I prefer to let my prospective users suffer a bit and learn from their mistakes - yeah, I've got this hidden sadistic trait :twisted: .
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

KevC wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:04 pm
Exclusive wrote:
For example, some users are ignorant on how to enter their email address during registration.
Really?
It's one of the most common things they have to do on the internet. And in fact the reg page asks you for it twice in case you typed it in wrongly.
It's not uncommon at all for people to sign up to a site and never actually come back. Since Jan 1st this year this site already has 16 people who have never signed in.
My board gets almost 20 signups per day and the funny thing is that only 5-8 of them will activate their account dues to the mistakes

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

70% of your users don't know how to type in their own email address correctly? That doesn't sound right to be honest. I'd be looking at something else like your mail server not sending the messages out right.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “Extension Requests”