Social Media Sharing Extension?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
ChinaGal

Social Media Sharing Extension?

Post by ChinaGal »

I am wondering if there is are any decent Social Media sharing extensions? I had installed "Share On", but didn't like it. It has too many social media sites and doesn't let you customize to only show the ones you want. We really would just want Facebook and Twitter sharing buttons for our site. Does anything like this exist please?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Extension Requests

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Social Media Sharing Extension?

Post by Mick »

If you’re looking for an extension you need to post in the extensions forums.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

You can create your own buttons in most cases. If you need help - let me know.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:56 am
It has too many social media sites and doesn't let you customize to only show the ones you want.
Yes it does! Go to the extensions tab in the ACP and go to ShareOn > Settings

You can select individual icons and can only select Twitter and Facebook if you want.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Perfect. Thank you. I didn't see the settings when I installed it before for some reason. Got it working now. Thanks again!

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

JLA wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 am
You can create your own buttons in most cases. If you need help - let me know.
Thank you. It would be good to have some nicer FaceBook and Twitter buttons for this extension. The default buttons are so small and hard to see. But I’m not sure if it would be possible to replace the existing buttons within the extension or not?

JLA

Post by JLA »

If you can source the button image graphics - you can craft custom URL's in your code for social media platforms. If you look at one of the viewtopic pages on our site - you will see three (look at one of the posts that has an image attachment) sharing buttons that just use a specially crafted link for sharing on each platform. FB, Twitter and Pinterest. These are all generated by viewtopic dynamically based on the page's content.

If you want further help - let me know

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you. I looked on your site at some posts which I believe have photos in them, but I didn't see any of your social media share buttons unfortunately.

But I would be happy to continue using the extension if I would just be able to upload some custom buttons. I saw that there are already many Facebook and Twitter share buttons that are available online that I can use. So I wouldn't need to create any new buttons of my own.

I did an "inspect element" though on the current buttons added by the extension to find out where the buttons are located so that I can replace them, but it doesn't show me a file location for the buttons on our server. So I am not sure how we can actually replace them.

Also, I don't like the location of the buttons the way the extension adds them. They go to the right below the post. This adds an extra space below the post and this isn't the best way to do it. In my opinion the best way would be to add them next to the button on the top right of the post for "Reply With Quote", but not sure how difficult it would be to change the code to move the button location.

JLA

Post by JLA »

ChinaGal wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 am
Thank you. I looked on your site at some posts which I believe have photos in them, but I didn't see any of your social media share buttons unfortunately.

But I would be happy to continue using the extension if I would just be able to upload some custom buttons. I saw that there are already many Facebook and Twitter share buttons that are available online that I can use. So I wouldn't need to create any new buttons of my own.

I did an "inspect element" though on the current buttons added by the extension to find out where the buttons are located so that I can replace them, but it doesn't show me a file location for the buttons on our server. So I am not sure how we can actually replace them.

Also, I don't like the location of the buttons the way the extension adds them. They go to the right below the post. This adds an extra space below the post and this isn't the best way to do it. In my opinion the best way would be to add them next to the button on the top right of the post for "Reply With Quote", but not sure how difficult it would be to change the code to move the button location.
Our social media sharing buttons are on the topic page - right hand side (to the right of the topic title) You will see a twitter, FB and Pinterest button there.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:56 am
I am wondering if there is are any decent Social Media sharing extensions? I had installed "Share On", but didn't like it. It has too many social media sites and doesn't let you customize to only show the ones you want. We really would just want Facebook and Twitter sharing buttons for our site. Does anything like this exist please?
You should be able to set the media sites you want to be shown in ACP, afair.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Premium extensions @ The Studio

Return to “Extension Requests”