announcement

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
timelessbeing

announcement

Post by timelessbeing »

Forgive me if it seems an obvious question, but I'm still learning to use phpBB.

I need to take my forum down for maintenance, and I want to notify everybody about the outage ahead of time. Is there a way to show a notice to everybody who visits the site, regardless if they're logged in, or the URL they're accessing? Maybe even one that they need to dismiss before they can enter?

Thanks.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: announcement

Post by Mick »

"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
david63

Post by david63 »

Try this extension, it should do what you want - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... intenance/
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Easiest way. Assuming there is no .htm or .html file in your board root (and there shouldn't be), mske an html page that say "Board will be down for maintenance from June 28 - July 2, 2020. Click link below to view the board."

Link to board.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
timelessbeing

Post by timelessbeing »

Thanks everyone.

@Mick
Stickies and Announcements are too easily ignored. It's not sufficient for things I want everybody to read.

@Janus
That's much better.

@David
That would work as well. But I think the red one has more urgency to it than the green one.

@Steve
That won't work for people using bookmarks. For example if I'm using "/search.php?search_id=active_topics" to access the board it will skip right past a fixed html page. That why my posted requirements said "regardless of URL used".

I'll keep looking for an extension that requires the visitor to read a notice before displaying the forum.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

timelessbeing wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:45 pm
@David
That would work as well. But I think the red one has more urgency to it than the green one.
I just looked at the extension and it shouldn't be all that difficult to make the message more prominent (scheduledmaintenance.css?).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “Extension Requests”