VPN Blocking?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: VPN Blocking?

Post by KevC »

What problem are you preventing by adding 33,000 IPs to your ban list?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Your right, there were some IP ranges in that IPV4 file. I didn't notice it at first. Anyway, I created a CSV file out of it and you can upload IP lists from CSV files into Cloudflare. The only problem is that you can only have a maximum of 1,000 entries per list on CF. So would need to create 33 files and 33 lists!

But say you even got that far, then you would have to pull the lists into the Firewall, and I think you could block them, but, as you said, I don't think there is any way to give the blocked person a reason why they are being blocked so that they could shut off their VPN. So no point even going any further with it in Cloudflare unless you can give people a reason when they are blocked, which I haven't seen a way of doing so far.

Would be great if there was a thing you can implement which detects just detects Anonymizers and and tells the person to shut it off. That would do it. I read something about something called OpenDNS and being able to set a rule to detect Anonymizers and Proxy servers and block them. But I didn't quite understand it. Can't find the link again right now though.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

ChinaGal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 am
I read something about something
Where does anonymization start and where does it end? Just because on one end certain critera define "anonymous" doesn't mean the other end ever wanted it to be: you could sit at home and have no influence on how you connect with the internet. Also I'm against using the term "Anonymizer", since that's a trademark since 1997, not a noun.

I, too, would like to know what your overall goal is, which you yet haven't stated.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

ChinaGal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 am
Would be great if there was a thing you can implement which detects just detects Anonymizers and and tells the person to shut it off.
For a while we thought we might have been close to having that as an additional feature of MarkDHamill's Filter By Country, but it turned out the free country databases from MaxMind didn't actually expose the VPN information.

Live updated VPN information is available for very low fees from MaxMind and others like GetIPIntel, but only as a query-based service and not a list/database you could pre-load. There would have to be an extension to query these services with the IP address that is connecting; similar to how the CleanTalk extension queries their service to make a determination.

I'm not aware of an existing extension intended to detect VPNs or public proxies in phpBB. But that may just mean I don't know about it.
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

If you're willing to learn, check out CIDRAM at Github, but don't ask me all kinds of questions on how to use it. Use the Github and Gitter channels. It will block an enormous amount of unsavory traffic. The author is a friend of mine and some of my suggestions made it into the project like an AbuseIPDB module which will use your AbuseIPDB API key to lookup the IP at AbuseIPDB and/or file a report back at AbuseIPDB. CIDRAM also has a Stop Forum Spam module using the SFS database. The massive list of IPs cover many VPNs, etc. And I add to it all the time. CIDRAM is also available as a WordPress plug-in.

Not only do I use CIDRAM, I have 78 pages of ASNs (whole lists of CIDRs) that are blocked in CloudFlare. It's been an ever increasing project for five years now. Depending on the IP, CIDR or ASN, they may be outright blocked, JS checked or Captchaed. ASNs can have a mix of ISP and hosters so you need to know what you are doing least you block legit users. You also need to know how to deploy CloudFlare correctly. I know many ways of getting the origin IP and so do the bad guys if you're not a good Admin. I wrote about how to use CloudFlare properly on my website.

If you want to see a list of CIDRAM's default blocks it's here. It's in htaccess format and can be massaged in Notepad ++ which I do all the time for my Peerblock list's, but I would NEVER use it in htaccess. Your site won't even run. :lol: In the CIDRAM PHP format, it's extremely fast.

PS: I also block Opera's so-called browser-based "VPN". I just installed Opera and found all of their ASNs. Problem solved. :lol: If I see new shenanigans, they get blocked.
Having spam problems? Install this extension and/or this script.
How to help protect your site from hackers.
0FL ?FE<JKCP K?@EB PFL ;<:F;<;‌​​​​‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌​​​​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌​‌‌​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌​​‌​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌​‌⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​​‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌​⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌​​​​‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌​​‌​​‌⁠‌​​​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌​‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌⁠‌‌​​‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌​​​⁠‌‌‌​‌​​⁠‌​‌‌‌​ K?@J D<JJ8><t +?@EB 8>8@Ec
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

I removed the off-topic posts about a specific user's site. Please keep replies to the extension request at hand. Thank you! :)
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)

Return to “Extension Requests”