Limit on number of topics in a specific forum

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
ankit_123

Limit on number of topics in a specific forum

Post by ankit_123 »

Hi,
Is it possible to limit no.of topics in a specific forum, so that a specific forum does not become too large and only quality question are there which helps user to resolve there queries.
Last edited by ankit_123 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Limit on number of topics in a specific forum

Post by HiFiKabin »

That would require an extension, so moving to Extension Requests
david63

Post by david63 »

Not sure I fully understand what it is that you are asking for.

You say that you want to limit the number of topics in a forum - that would be relatively easy as an extension but then there is the question of what happens when that limit is reached? Do you just prevent users from posting because that is a sure way to drive users away from your board.

You then say
ankit_123 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37 am so that a specific topic does not become too large
This gives the impression that you want to limit the number of replies in a topic - not the number of topics in a forum.

So the question is which is it that you want - limit topics in a forum, limit posts in a topic or both?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
ankit_123

Post by ankit_123 »

I want to limit Topics only and not Posts in that, so that we have limited Topics per forum. and to avoid unnecessary repetition of similar questions. Thats why I just want to limit number of topics per forum.
ankit_123

Post by ankit_123 »

Sorry its by mistake i meant Forum only and not Topic

If it reaches to limit moderator will have delete old queries which are not relevant after a specific period.

david63 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:09 am Not sure I fully understand what it is that you are asking for.

You say that you want to limit the number of topics in a forum - that would be relatively easy as an extension but then there is the question of what happens when that limit is reached? Do you just prevent users from posting because that is a sure way to drive users away from your board.

You then say
ankit_123 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37 am so that a specific topic does not become too large
This gives the impression that you want to limit the number of replies in a topic - not the number of topics in a forum.

So the question is which is it that you want - limit topics in a forum, limit posts in a topic or both?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

This would appear to be judgment requiring moderation. You can give the registered users group the permission "on moderation queue" for that or other forums. New posts would need approval of moderator.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

Whilst thecoalman's suggestion is one way personally I don't like the idea of total moderation of posts on a specific forum as it can be counter productive and deter members from posting.

For what you want another solution would be to have the forum as normal and then have an "archive" sub forum which is read only into which a moderator moves topics that are not required.

However you approach this it is going to take a fair degree of moderation.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Just wondering if this would work
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... d_approval

So you approve new topics based on whether you think there is repetition. I think there is an extension that alerts people if the subject of the topic is similar to existing ones already.

However, a certain amount of repetition is the nature of forums. It's difficult to stop. People's opinions may have changed, the correct answer may have changed, etc etc.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
ankit_123

Post by ankit_123 »

This is something different from my requirement

Return to “Extension Requests”