Macedonia is Greece!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x translations forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Apolloneos

Macedonia is Greece!

Post by Apolloneos » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:24 pm

I write this post because i want to state a big error in the Language packs. You have a pack called "Macedonian". There is no Macedonian language. Macedonia is Greece, from the ancient times until now. Macedons are Greeks and their language is Greek. The language you call "Macedonian", in fact it is not Macedonian, but Slavic. You must change the name of this pack, because it assaults Greece. I hope you will understand this and act properly.

dimitar spiroski

Re: Macedonia is Greece!

Post by dimitar spiroski » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 am

you are so wrong. You can say that greece is macedonian. Don't be such a jurk, activate your brain(if you have one).
Last edited by Jim_UK on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Check your PM box please.

dimitar spiroski

Post by dimitar spiroski » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 am

And this should everyone know

The president of greece is Macedonian. Yes he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Jim_UK on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic but I guess one warning is sufficient for today.

Apolloneos

Post by Apolloneos » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:04 pm

Yes he is Macedonian and I AM MACEDONIAN. We are Greeks. Macedonians are Greek nation. Macedonia is Greece. You can read some history to understand this. The language of Macedonians is the Greek language. Your language is not Macedonian, but Slavic. The name of your country is not Macedonia, but Vardaska, or Skopje, or whatever else you want. You must respect the Greek history and you must not steal the names of ancient (and modern) Greece.

dimitar spiroski

Post by dimitar spiroski » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:54 am

No NO NO NO. Macedonia is Macedonian. You should just reed some of the history book. Man your opinon is faraway from the truth. Macedonian languge isn,t slovak, you remember Kiril and Metodij. the first alphabet was made from them. they made the slovak alphabet and they are MACEDONIAN. WE ARE PROUD ON EVERYTHING WE HAVE. YOU CAN'T TAKE OUR NAME, OUR HISTORY OR OUR NATION. THAT'S REALYTY, AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT FOR COUPLE OF YEARS.

Apolloneos

Post by Apolloneos » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:49 am

YOUR opinion is faraway from the truth! Kiril and Metodij were Greeks and they went to your country to spread Christianism and they made you an alphabet. So, tell me in which language Alexander The Great, his father and Aristotle had spoken and had written? In Greek. Also, Macedonians took place on the ancient Olympic Games, where only Greeks were allowed to participate. All Macedonians had Greek names. The ancient monuments of Macedonia are all in Greek style. Alexander The Great, the biggest Greek man, guided Greece to glory. The Macedonian culture is the same with the Greek culture, the Macedonian culture is Greek. The History does not change. History says that Macedonians = Greeks. Your country did not exist when Macedonia existed. Your country had the name "Vardaska" in Yugoslav. Your country wants our name and our territory. This began when Tito wanted to establish your country and because your country was a mixture of many nations (such as Slavs, Bulgars, Albanians) he find the idea to join all of you under the vision of the Macedonian nation. So he started the propaganda to tell you the lie that you are Macedonians and he achieved it. This is what history says. So YOU take our History, our name.

bazoo513

Post by bazoo513 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:04 pm

Apolloneos wrote:I write this post because i want to state a big error in the Language packs. You have a pack called "Macedonian". There is no Macedonian language. Macedonia is Greece, from the ancient times until now. Macedons are Greeks and their language is Greek. The language you call "Macedonian", in fact it is not Macedonian, but Slavic. You must change the name of this pack, because it assaults Greece. I hope you will understand this and act properly.
You mean, "Macedonia is Former Turkish Vilayet of Greece" ? :P (Yes, yes, I know, there were actually two vilayets...)

Modern Greeks have exactly the same relationship (and right to claim) to ancient Macedonians as modern Macedonians do: zero. Leave the people well alone. As if forceful assimilation of Slavonic population of Aegean Macedonia wasn't enough.

Apolloneos

Post by Apolloneos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:34 pm

You mean, "Macedonia is Former Turkish Vilayet of Greece" ? :P (Yes, yes, I know, there were actually two vilayets...)

Modern Greeks have exactly the same relationship (and right to claim) to ancient Macedonians as modern Macedonians do: zero. Leave the people well alone. As if forceful assimilation of Slavonic population of Aegean Macedonia wasn't enough.
What do you mean :lol: ? Read history and then come to talk. Stop the unhistorical propaganda.

Apolloneos

Post by Apolloneos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm

please, phpbb team take care of this matter and correct the name of this language pack. this unfairness against greek history must be stopped. you can go to libraries and read historical books to verify whatever i say, if you don't believe me.

[Removed Excessive Caps/BBcode - karlsemple]

bazoo513

Post by bazoo513 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Apolloneos wrote:please, phpbb team take care of this matter and correct the name of this language pack. this unfairness against greek history must be stopped. you can go to libraries and read historical books to verify whatever i say, if you don't believe me.

[Removed Excessive Caps/BBcode - karlsemple]
Those books will only help for speakers of modern Greek, as the rest of historians don't quite agree with your view.

ISO has standardized the name and various codes for many languages, among them the one spoken by a small Slavic nation living between Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece, who call themselves Macedonians, and therefore others should call them that, too. This notwithstanding the fact that three of their neighbors are in habit of occasionally denying them their right of existence and declaring them Serbs/Bulgarians/Greeks. Albanians merely try to spread throughout the country.

BTW, no, Macedonia (Makedonija) was never called "Vardarska" (except to distinguish it from "Pirinska Makedonija" and "Egejska Makedonija", parts of Bulgaria and Greece, respectively, where significant populations of this nation used to live before more or less forceful assimilation); also, there was never "Yugoslav" language; as you would said, read your books :)

Chill out, Apolloneos! Macedonia is a historic toponym, and both your people and Macedonians merely happen to live on parts of its extent. Neither of your two peoples have anything to do with Alexander the Great, any more than inhabitants of Split can claim Diocletian's heritage. Macedonians are not trying to appropriate any part of your country (not any more, anyway ;) ); hopefully the opposite holds, too.

Cheers!

Bonzi (not a Macedonian, BTW :D )

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:34 pm

I no longer see the point of this topic as it is turning into an all out argument. If there is a genuine issue with this language pack then contact Acyd Burn or VIc not sure which one is dealing with language packs at the moment. If this is just an argument about history and actually makes no real difference the language then please leave it be. Either way can we please keep this with in the rules, that means posting in a respectful way to other members....and font size normal please.

Spartacos

Post by Spartacos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 pm

greetings to everyone,

the slavs that live at FYROM/vardarska have no connection to the ancient macedonians,whitch were a greek tribe
slavs arrived at the balkans at the 600s,1000 years later of alexanders age

i challenge anyone with basic knowledge of history to deny the hellenic heritage of macedonia*

on topic, a more appropriate name on phpbb list would be FYR Macedonian or simply FYROM

*state propaganda and construction of national identity is not history
Last edited by Spartacos on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apolloneos

Post by Apolloneos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:23 pm

ISO has standardized the name and various codes for many languages, among them the one spoken by a small Slavic nation living between Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece, who call themselves Macedonians, and therefore others should call them that, too. This notwithstanding the fact that three of their neighbors are in habit of occasionally denying them their right of existence and declaring them Serbs/Bulgarians/Greeks. Albanians merely try to spread throughout the country.
ISO calls them FYROM. This is their temporary name, until it is found a solution to the problem of the name. They call themselves Macedonians, but they are not. I explain this above. Macedonians are Greeks, such as Spartans, Athenians, Mycenaeans, Cretans, Thracians, Pontians etc. No, others should not call them that, because this is a violation of the Greek history and culture. If i call myself with your name, your surname and i tell that your things are mine, then i have this right and how would you react?
BTW, no, Macedonia (Makedonija) was never called "Vardarska" (except to distinguish it from "Pirinska Makedonija" and "Egejska Makedonija", parts of Bulgaria and Greece, respectively, where significant populations of this nation used to live before more or less forceful assimilation); also, there was never "Yugoslav" language; as you would said, read your books
I didn't said anything about "Yugoslav" language. It's a spelling mistake. I meaned the country of Yugoslavia.
See this postage stamp from Yugoslavia, where FYROM is called Vardaska:
Chill out, Apolloneos! Macedonia is a historic toponym, and both your people and Macedonians merely happen to live on parts of its extent. Neither of your two peoples have anything to do with Alexander the Great, any more than inhabitants of Split can claim Diocletian's heritage. Macedonians are not trying to appropriate any part of your country (not any more, anyway ;) ); hopefully the opposite holds, too.
Macedonia exists from the ancient times until now in north Greece. You can see a map of Greece. We, the Macedonians, are Greeks and Alexander the Great was the biggest Greek man of ancient Greece.
Last edited by Apolloneos on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apolloneos

Post by Apolloneos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:42 pm

karlsemple wrote:I no longer see the point of this topic as it is turning into an all out argument. If there is a genuine issue with this language pack then contact Acyd Burn or VIc not sure which one is dealing with language packs at the moment. If this is just an argument about history and actually makes no real difference the language then please leave it be. Either way can we please keep this with in the rules, that means posting in a respectful way to other members....and font size normal please.
I started this topic to tell the administration, that the "Macedonian language pack" must change name, because of the reason i explain above.
Also, the phpbb team can find historical proofs here: PAN-MACEDONIAN ASSOCIATION

bazoo513

Post by bazoo513 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 pm

Spartacos wrote:the slavs that live at FYROM/vardarska have no connection to the ancient macedonians,whitch were a greek tribe
slavs arrived at the balkans at the 600s,1000 years later of alexanders age
Agreed, of course. But connection of modern day Greeks with ancient Macedonians is tenuous, at best. You call a part of your country Macedonia, (present day Slavic) Macedonians call their country Macedonia, both are, geographically, parts of ancient Macedonia. What's wrong with that?

Cheers!

Return to “[2.0.x] Translations”