[ABD] [3.1] [pre]fixed - Topic Prefixes extension

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Re: [BETA][3.1] [pre]fixed - Topic Prefixes extension

Post by imkingdavid » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:38 pm

ndmccain wrote:I have a little problem. I installed it just fine. However, the drop down is hidden behind the post buttons! I've tried changing the z-index put it doesn't work.

I'm using a premium theme called "Canvas" and it's prosilver based.

Any help is great!
I had this sort of problem with normal prosilver when I was first trying to implement the feature and I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it. However, I can try to help. I don't want to breach any contract you have with the theme creator, but can you ask them if it is ok to send me a copy of the theme (for testing purposes only, I won't use it on a live site) so that I can try to resolve the issue?
germano1 wrote:Hi,
I have times your extension on a test forum installed, but it is not. In the ACP, although I can adjust this, see screen, but I see nothing in the indicated forum. The IDs should be correct, oh those of the test forum.
Can you confirm that you cleared the cache? Also, what happens if you put your user ID in the User ID's field? Does that allow the prefix to show up?
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

germano1

Post by germano1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Can you confirm that you cleared the cache? Also, what happens if you put your user ID in the User ID's field? Does that allow the prefix to show up?
The cache has been cleared, tested various forums and user ID. It is simply not displayed. Tested on normal prosilver and revised style based on prosilver.

Note: all other extensions have been temporarily disabled to exclude conflicts

back4ever

Post by back4ever » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm

in which folder to install ?
i try "imkingdavid" dont work

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:44 pm

back4ever wrote:in which folder to install ?
i try "imkingdavid" dont work
The contents of the GitHub repo should end up in {$phpbb_root_path}/ext/imkingdavid/prefixed[c]

[quote="germano1"][quote]
Can you confirm that you cleared the cache? Also, what happens if you put your user ID in the User ID's field? Does that allow the prefix to show up?[/quote]

The cache has been cleared, tested various forums and user ID. It is simply not displayed. Tested on normal prosilver and revised style based on prosilver.

Note: all other extensions have been temporarily disabled to exclude conflicts[/quote]

Just realized, it's probably because the needed template event isn't in your version of phpBB. It was added in phpBB 3.1.10, so you'd either need to update your test board to that version or follow the changes indicated in this Pull Request: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4371

Lunaus

Post by Lunaus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm running 3.1.10 phpBB build, and I'm able to create the prefixes from the ACP > Posting, but when I go to the forums to try and use them on threads I don't see the option anywhere... I'm using PBWoW3 > PBWoW3_Tech

EDIT: I'm able to actually view them now.. but I can't select it, my cursor changes as if I'm going to type something.
EDIT2: Now I understand... I need to drag and drop it.. so with that figured out I have a suggestion.. Can it just be a dropdown selection? Would make a lot more sense.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 am

Well the idea is to be able to put the prefixes in your desired order, and just clicking isn't going to do that. Though perhaps if there's the option to just click to add them, and then drag them when they're already selected, that might be more intuitive.

Electrix

Post by Electrix » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello imkingdavid,
imkingdavid wrote:Well the idea is to be able to put the prefixes in your desired order, and just clicking isn't going to do that.
Click inside dropdown can activate prefix and insert it on the last position. Click on already activated prefix can send it back to the dropdown. Although I'm not sure what could be the benefit of sorting prefixes per-topic.

I totally agree with Lunaus on that one. Current dropdown seems to be overcomplicating simple task. As far as I know, there is no other usable extension for topic prefixes, but most of administrators look for simple functionality - like this MOD - one prefix, no ordering (=dropdown->click->done). That's why so many people are confused by the extension, that can do more.

And by more I mean, is that still a prefix functionality? Because it is more similar to topic tagging (like this). It's just my personal opinion. I'm perfectly aware that the direction of development is up to you and I don't want to question your decisions. I also highly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this extension.

Few days ago, I tested the extension on my board and the outcome wasn't very good. Current release doesn't support dragging prefix in MS Edge and has a strange (somehow laggy) behavior in IE12 too (both @win10/x64). I didn't test it personally, but got feedback from my moderators, that it also doesn't work on some mobile browsers.

As for the design of the dropdown window, it feels a bit weird imho (@Prosilver). There are some strange artifacts around droppable elements (in all browsers), which I'm not sure being intended or not. More importantly, there is no border or background on the prefixes and even when viewing forums, the prefixes are almost undistinguishable from the topic title. There is also one minor thing I don't understand: Why is it allowed to sort prefixes inside dropdown (eg. change their order by drag&drop them)?

I wanted to mention more things here, but then I noticed you already have them listed under the "Bugs" tab in your repository. Most important of them probably being the integration with search function.

Hope this helps you a little. In case you need any help, feel free to contact me.
„Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.“[A. Einstein]

Lunaus

Post by Lunaus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 pm

Agreed, whenever I've used Topic Prefixes it was always a dropdown to select from and then it'd automatically be placed at the beginning of the title. They also had a button background, which currently cannot be done with this extension due to the bgcolor not working with it.

For example where it says "Vehicle" is what I'm personally use to seeing a topic prefix as.

As mentioned above, development for the extension is up to you.

dneers

Post by dneers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Thats ext only works in forum 3.1.10 ? Cause I have install on my beta forum and did works fine, but when I install on my forum "official" 3.1.9 he wont works =/

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:28 am

Thank you Electrix and Lunaus for the feedback. I will take into consideration what you guys brought up because while you're right, it's my extension and the development direction will go where I want it to, you guys are the ones using it and I want it to be intuitive and usable for the people using my extension.
Lunaus wrote:Agreed, whenever I've used Topic Prefixes it was always a dropdown to select from and then it'd automatically be placed at the beginning of the title. They also had a button background, which currently cannot be done with this extension due to the bgcolor not working with it.

For example where it says "Vehicle" is what I'm personally use to seeing a topic prefix as.

As mentioned above, development for the extension is up to you.
I just wanted to double check, you mean that you're unable to achieve the red background in your screenshot using my extension? Note that prefixes are fully bbcode-enabled, so you should be able to use a BBCode to apply a background color and rounded corners to your prefix.

Example: http://imgur.com/rTZNkyn
BBCode Config: http://imgur.com/t0tua3r
Prefix Config: http://imgur.com/6aQygrR
dneers wrote:Thats ext only works in forum 3.1.10 ? Cause I have install on my beta forum and did works fine, but when I install on my forum "official" 3.1.9 he wont works =/
Yes, there is a template event added in 3.1.10 that is necessary for it to work out-of-the-box. If you are comfortable modifying code, you can manually apply the change to your 3.1.9 board, but I'd recommend updating anyway since 3.1.10 has been fully released.

That being said, this is still BETA and I don't recommend using it on a live site because there could still be bugs or things may change before a full release.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 am

imkingdavid wrote:
Yes, there is a template event added in 3.1.10 that is necessary for it to work out-of-the-box. If you are comfortable modifying code, you can manually apply the change to your 3.1.9 board, but I'd recommend updating anyway since 3.1.10 has been fully released.
Actually it is, released:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2389426
though a few considerable bugs have been "shipped" with it.

Regards.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:40 am

3Di wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:

Regards.
Yes, that is what I was saying. I recommend he updates to 3.1.10 because it's been released now. Thanks!

Lunaus

Post by Lunaus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:12 am

imkingdavid wrote: I just wanted to double check, you mean that you're unable to achieve the red background in your screenshot using my extension? Note that prefixes are fully bbcode-enabled, so you should be able to use a BBCode to apply a background color and rounded corners to your prefix.

No, my CP looks nothing like that: http://puu.sh/rWOf4.png

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 am

imkingdavid wrote:
3Di wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:

Regards.
Yes, that is what I was saying. I recommend he updates to 3.1.10 because it's been released now. Thanks!
Sorry David, I mis-read your post. That could happen. ;)
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:07 am

Lunaus wrote:
imkingdavid wrote: I just wanted to double check, you mean that you're unable to achieve the red background in your screenshot using my extension? Note that prefixes are fully bbcode-enabled, so you should be able to use a BBCode to apply a background color and rounded corners to your prefix.

No, my CP looks nothing like that: http://puu.sh/rWOf4.png
Your screenshot looks just like "Prefix Config" screenshot, except that the values in the fields are different. In order to achieve the red background behind a prefix, you would need to follow the example from my screenshots by creating the BBCode in the ACP under Posting -> Messages -> BBCodes, and then using that BBCode in the prefix and applying that prefix to a post.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”