[ABD] Portal Extension for phpBB 3.1.x

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
michaelo
Name: Michael O'Toole

[ABD] Portal Extension for phpBB 3.1.x

Post by michaelo »

phpbb3-extension-portal

Description:
Revamping the Kiss Portal Engine as an extension for phpBB 3.1.x

Features:
  • Fully integrated portal for phpBB 3.1.x
  • Blocks are fully integrated and can be placed on any page...
  • Block visibility can be controller on a group basis from the ACP...
  • Menu item visibility can be controller on a group basis from the ACP...
  • Members can further move and hide (and show hidden) blocks...
  • Responsive layout in Prosilver & Olympus...
  • For a full list of proposed features: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... al_engine/
Changes:
When displaying blocks on phpBB pages (index, viewtopics etc), portal blocks will be displayed on the left or right (user option) and not on both side as previously...

• Overall development ... 98% complete...
  • ACP ... 100% complete...
  • The main portal page ... 100% complete...
  • Default blocks ...100% complete...
  • Seeding the database... 100%
  • Integration with other pages... 100%
Requirements:
  • phpBB 3.1 or higher
Repository:
https://github.com/phpbbireland/portal (changed!)

Notes:
The repository code is in a constant stare of flux and there are unanswered questions...
The link is provided for reference only as not all files in the repository are necessary...
This is a work in progress and may contain errors...

Screenshots:

Installation:
Standard extension install procedure...

Author notes:
I am posting this for the record... as we progress through the porting from 3.0 to 3.1 I will add updates...

I should also point out I'm a C programmer with little experience of OOP's/Classes so bear with me... at least till I learn what the hell I'm doing ;)

State of play:
Tested and working 100% with 3.1.5
We have included an alternate style too (Olympus for 3.1.x)
Style elements are responsive...
Mike

Looking for help developing the portal extension

I'm a reasonably good C programmer but when it comes to classes and especially the more advanced class code used in extension development I'm often left scratching my head... To put it simply, I need help from someone who knows more about classes than I do... If you have any free time and can help, please PM me...
Last edited by michaelo on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Contributions: Mods & Styles Extensions
(site is down): Kiss Portal Engine
aleha
Code Contributor

Re: [DEV] Portal Extension for phpBB 3.1.x

Post by aleha »

Will this be responsive? For use with mobile devices.
michaelo

Post by michaelo »

The short answer is yes... however as it is independent of the style chosen, it more depends of the style...
Having said that, we have ported several hundreds style in the past often improving on the original and adding responsive elements...
Mike
regazer
Name: Reginald Gazer

Post by regazer »

Hello, because I'm interested in this extension I'd like to translate it to german language.

But on testing I found some big mistakes.
table 'p31.phpbb_k_variables' doesn't exist [1146] is not the only one.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/phpbbireland/portal/acp/pages_module.php on line 49: include(./../ext/phpbbireland/portal/includes/sgp_functions_admin.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/phpbbireland/portal/acp/menus_module.php on line 50: include(./../ext/phpbbireland/portal/includes/sgp_functions_admin.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

You tried to inlude a file that's actually NOT in "include" but in the same directory as the files themeselves.

However I'll begin the translations to german in some of next days and hope you fix the extension as soon as you can. I'm curios to know how it works in real life. :lol:
michaelo

Post by michaelo »

It's only a test build ATM... it works fine but not everything has been ported for Kiss Portal Engine to 3.1.x...

I have stopped the testing until phpBB 3.1 fixes some acp problems...
Mike

PS, it's been a while since I tested, perhaps there are some updates to phpBB 3.1 and fixes to some of the issues I have encountered...
archon432

Post by archon432 »

Can someone post a screenshot?
michaelo

Post by michaelo »

It's still in development and there's a lot of work to do... as to a screen shot, it's looks exactly the same as the normal the 3.0 version here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... al_engine/
Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Can you please make the Menu Manager in ACP look like the one that Board3 Portal has?

I like the modules that your portal has a lot but personally I'd rather not deal with that page in ACP. Call me lazy but it is the only reason that I am not using it.

All that info (ID, NDX, SID, UID) in one list makes it harder for me to quickly realise where each module is on the screen and easily add/delete modules. So how about making that page reflect the visual result better?

That can be achieved by dividing the page into regions Top, Left, Center, Right and Bottom which will be stacks of boxes (one box for one module). And each box will display the following: ICON, NAME and OPTIONS. Perhaps all the other information can be moved into the configuration of each module as a summary.

Other than that, thank you for this great contribution!
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Id rather see a move away from using the ACP for module management.
I imagine making a toggle on the actual portal page. Admin toggle on means you can move/add new modules. Admin toggle off, locks the setup and what you see is what you get. :)
michaelo

Post by michaelo »

Some nice ideas and worth examining...

Just to mention, Kiss is fully integrated, that is, blocks can be placed on any/all phpBB pages and any other page including mod/extension pages... not just the portal page as the norm with other portals...

As each member can both arrange and display (hide/show) blocks to their individual liking, by dragging and dropping, it didn't didn't make sense to complicate the admin layout to any great extent however... but, I'm open to suggestions....

Ideas:
See: http://www.phpbbireland.com/kiss2/viewt ... 105&t=1123... for more info...

It is entirely possible that block layout can be handled on the portal page without the need to involve the ACP at all.... :idea:

I have also looked at the possibility of introducing the portals own administration page, independent of phpBB3...
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

michaelo wrote:Just to mention, Kiss is fully integrated, that is, blocks can be placed on any/all phpBB pages and any other page including mod/extension pages... not just the portal page as the norm with other portals...
One of kiss portals greatest strengths imo. ;)
Currently using B3P but planning on switching to Kiss after upgrading to 3.1
Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

michaelo wrote: Just to mention, Kiss is fully integrated, that is, blocks can be placed on any/all phpBB pages and any other page including mod/extension pages... not just the portal page as the norm with other portals...
I didn't know that :!:

I like the idea that is illustrated in the image. It reminds me of the widget management in WordPress. Are you familiar with that? If you can make it work and look similar to WordPress's that would be great :)

Do you think you could also consider making an additional module? I've been always looking for a Featured Content Slider since it's a trend for many modern websites to have slideshows and other image modules below their main navigation.

I think it would be great to have a featured content slider module similar to these:

1. http://css-tricks.com/examples/FeaturedContentSlider/

2. http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nnpe ... query.html

Features it should have:
  • Display information (e.g. image and title) from a number of topics from selected forums and link to those topics. The number of topics and the forums will be configured in the ACP.
  • Display an image for the selected topic. Images that meet the size requirements will be fetched from the first post of each topic and the first one will be used in the slider. If none is found then noimage.jpg will be used. Minimum image width and height or a specific width and height will be configured in the ACP.
  • Display topic titles in clickable boxes (as in the second example) and/or in image captions.
  • Autoslide with fade out or other effects. Slide speed will be configured in the ACP.
  • Pause sliding when the mouse cursor hovers over the image.
michaelo

Post by michaelo »

The initial project will concentrate on the basics, so pretty must as 3.0...

First get it working...
Next make it fast...
Then make it pretty...
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I installed this then decided to uninstall (forgot why but I think it was a good reason, sorry!). When I went to delete the data, I get this:

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Duplicate entry 'k_announce_allow' for key 'PRIMARY' [1062]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_k_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('k_announce_allow', '1'), ('k_allow_acronyms', '1'), ('k_bot_display_allow', '1'), ('k_footer_images_allow', '1'), ('k_news_allow', '1'), ('k_announce_type', '0'), ('k_blocks_display_globally', '1'), ('k_smilies_show', '1'), ('k_links_scroll_amount', '0'), ('k_links_scroll_direction', '0'), ('k_announce_item_max_length', '400'), ('k_news_item_max_length', '350'), ('k_last_online_max', '10'), ('k_news_type', '0'), ('k_announce_to_display', '5'), ('k_links_to_display', '5'), ('k_links_forum_id', ''), ('k_news_items_to_display', '5'), ('k_recent_topics_to_display', '25'), ('k_recent_topics_per_forum', '5'), ('k_top_posters_to_display', '10'), ('k_top_posters_show', '1'), ('k_recent_search_days', '7'), ('k_allow_rotating_logos', '1'), ('k_post_types', '1'), ('k_top_topics_max', '5'), ('k_adm_block', ''), ('k_quick_reply', '1'), ('k_recent_topics_search_exclude', ''), ('k_top_topics_days', '7'), ('k_block_cache_time_default', '600'), ('k_block_cache_time_short', '10'), ('k_teams', ''), ('k_teams_display_this_many', '2'), ('k_max_block_avatar_width', '80'), ('k_max_block_avatar_height', '80'), ('k_teampage_memberships', '0'), ('k_tooltips_active', '1'), ('k_tooltips_which', '1'), ('k_landing_page', 'portal'), ('k_mod_folders', ''), ('k_teams_sort', 'default')

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 742
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 172
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 540
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/ext/phpbbireland/portal/migrations/v10x/release_1_0_0.php
LINE: 1158
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_multi_insert()

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: phpbbireland\portal\migrations\v10x\release_1_0_0->seed_db()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.php
LINE: 455
CALL: call_user_func_array()

LINE: 401
CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->run_step()

LINE: 327
CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step()

LINE: 297
CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_revert()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/extension/base.php
LINE: 98
CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->revert()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/extension/manager.php
LINE: 344
CALL: phpbb\extension\base->purge_step()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/acp/acp_extensions.php
LINE: 202
CALL: phpbb\extension\manager->purge_step()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 643
CALL: acp_extensions->main()

FILE: [ROOT]/adm/index.php
LINE: 71
CALL: p_master->load_active()
I checked phpMyAdmin...I don't see any duplicates?
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
PayBas
Former Team Member

Post by PayBas »

Jessica wrote:I installed this then decided to uninstall (forgot why but I think it was a good reason, sorry!). When I went to delete the data, I get this:
Same problem as this: viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2211266#p13591096

The author needs to update the migration files to include more checks.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”