[ABD] phpBB Knowledge Base

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Pico88
Name: Lukasz

Re: [DEV] phpBB Knowledge Base

Post by Pico88 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:45 am

Please do not PM me for support.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:05 am

That's where delete is going. :lol: Committed wrong version of that file.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:10 am

A couple of (minor) observations, so far.
  • In user permissions I am seeing ACL_U_KB_READ - is there a language missing?
  • Could the description in the permissions include KB? i.e. Can approve KB articles.
    Currently the KB permissions are not at first apparant - and may get confused with another extension in the future.
  • The description in the ACP is appearing on two lines and at first looks as if there are two options. There is no need to have Knowledge Base in that line as it is already in the heading
  • The log entries in Admin log are not picking up the language file
Apart from that - looking good at the moment.
Last edited by david63 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:44 am

EPV says you use add_log:
PASSED: Fatal: 0, Error: 0, Warning: 3, Notice: 0
Test results for extension:
Warning: Found a deprecated or removed function call to add_log on line 160, you can use $phpbb_log->add() instead in /Users/paulsohier/Knowledge_Base/controller/admin_controller.php
Warning: Found a deprecated or removed function call to add_log on line 200, you can use $phpbb_log->add() instead in /Users/paulsohier/Knowledge_Base/controller/admin_controller.php
Warning: Found a deprecated or removed function call to add_log on line 332, you can use $phpbb_log->add() instead in /Users/paulsohier/Knowledge_Base/controller/admin_controller.php
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm

There seems to be a problem with using preview after editing an article - there is no preview and the edited text disappears with the original text being shown.

Unless I have missed a permission setting somewhere I don't think that it is necessary for an Admin to have to have articles approved, even by themselves. In fact I would probably say that Moderators submissions should not need to be approved.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Does the editing time limit for posts apply to the editing of articles?
David

tbackoff
Former Team Member

Post by tbackoff » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:18 pm

david63 wrote:In user permissions I am seeing ACL_U_KB_READ - is there a language missing?
There is. I'll fix that
david63 wrote:Could the description in the permissions include KB? i.e. Can approve KB articles.
Currently the KB permissions are not at first apparant - and may get confused with another extension in the future.
Sure!
david63 wrote:The description in the ACP is appearing on two lines and at first looks as if there are two options. There is no need to have Knowledge Base in that line as it is already in the heading
Can you post a screenshot? It's too early in the morning and I'm not following.
david63 wrote:the log entries in Admin log are not picking up the language file
Seems fine for me.
admin_log_20140802.png
admin_log_20140802.png (17.44 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Paul wrote:EPV says you use add_log:
Warning: Found a deprecated or removed function call to add_log on line 160, you can use $phpbb_log->add() instead in /Users/paulsohier/Knowledge_Base/controller/admin_controller.php
Warning: Found a deprecated or removed function call to add_log on line 200, you can use $phpbb_log->add() instead in /Users/paulsohier/Knowledge_Base/controller/admin_controller.php
Warning: Found a deprecated or removed function call to add_log on line 332, you can use $phpbb_log->add() instead in /Users/paulsohier/Knowledge_Base/controller/admin_controller.php
Didn't test with EPV. So I just replace add_log with $phpbb_log->add? I don't have to change the arguments passed?
david63 wrote:There seems to be a problem with using preview after editing an article - there is no preview and the edited text disappears with the original text being shown.
Oops
david63 wrote:Unless I have missed a permission setting somewhere I don't think that it is necessary for an Admin to have to have articles approved, even by themselves. In fact I would probably say that Moderators submissions should not need to be approved.
I went back and forth on this very issue. I can change it.
david63 wrote:Does the editing time limit for posts apply to the editing of articles?
No, as articles may need updating in the future. With the appropriate permissions, a user can edit their own article to update the information in it.

Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 pm

tmbackoff wrote:
Paul wrote:EPV says you use add_log:
Didn't test with EPV. So I just replace add_log with $phpbb_log->add? I don't have to change the arguments passed?
No, you need to inject it into your constructor like the other deps (The message isn't that clear atm...), and then you can call add on the new object you got :).
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 pm

tmbackoff wrote:
david63 wrote:The description in the ACP is appearing on two lines and at first looks as if there are two options. There is no need to have Knowledge Base in that line as it is already in the heading
Can you post a screenshot? It's too early in the morning and I'm not following.
kb_acp.jpg
kb_acp.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
tmbackoff wrote:
david63 wrote:the log entries in Admin log are not picking up the language file
Seems fine for me.
kb_log.jpg
kb_log.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
tmbackoff wrote:
david63 wrote:Unless I have missed a permission setting somewhere I don't think that it is necessary for an Admin to have to have articles approved, even by themselves. In fact I would probably say that Moderators submissions should not need to be approved.
I went back and forth on this very issue. I can change it.
I think it should be changed
tmbackoff wrote:
david63 wrote:Does the editing time limit for posts apply to the editing of articles?
No, as articles may need updating in the future. With the appropriate permissions, a user can edit their own article to update the information in it.
It is something that I could live with - it's just that I have had a bad experience of editing being abused.
David

M.Gaetan89
Name: Gaëtan

Post by M.Gaetan89 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Great! I was hoping to try it soon :-)

Here are a few feedbacks after playing with your extension for a moment:
  • Why are you using a custom header style for the "Knowledge Base" title? It is inconsistent with the rest of the board
  • In a future version, would it be possible to restrict a category to a specific group (everyone, members, mods, ...)?
  • It would be nice to have a link to the category on the kb index page
  • What is the funcationnal difference between Disapprove and Deny? (I didn't try, so maybe it would have been obvious if I did)
  • The index page path is /kb/index. Why not have something like this for the category path and article path:
    • /kb/index?c=1 -> /kb/category/1/category-name
    • /kb/viewarticle?a=1 -> /kb/article/1/article-name
    • Maybe even change /kb/index with /kb
These are just some personal suggestions. I like your extension a lot, and will integrate it in my project no matter what ;)

tbackoff
Former Team Member

Post by tbackoff » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:53 pm

david63 wrote:It is something that I could live with - it's just that I have had a bad experience of editing being abused.
Keep in mind that if a user edits their own article, when they press submit, it goes back into the disapproved status allowing you to approve/deny accordingly. There is no revision feature though.
M.Gaetan89 wrote:Why are you using a custom header style for the "Knowledge Base" title? It is inconsistent with the rest of the board
It's the same font phpBB.com uses for the KB. For consistency's sake, I can change it.
M.Gaetan89 wrote:In a future version, would it be possible to restrict a category to a specific group (everyone, members, mods, ...)?
In a future version? Possibly. Definitely not in this version.
M.Gaetan89 wrote:It would be nice to have a link to the category on the kb index page
A link to what category? The dropdown allows you to switch categories.
M.Gaetan89 wrote:What is the funcationnal difference between Disapprove and Deny? (I didn't try, so maybe it would have been obvious if I did)
Disapproved is where all articles that were submitted or edited sit (waiting for approval or denial). Deny (theoretically) is where articles go that you have no intention of approving. Obviously, I could do just approve and disapprove, but this extension follows the same functionality as the 3.0 MOD I created, which in turn followed (somewhat) the phpBB.com KB structure and functionality. Plus, if you have a change of heart (or one of your moderators accidently denied), you can easily go back and approve it.
M.Gaetan89 wrote:The index page path is /kb/index. Why not have something like this for the category path and article path:
  • /kb/index?c=1 -> /kb/category/1/category-name
  • /kb/viewarticle?a=1 -> /kb/article/1/article-name
  • Maybe even change /kb/index with /kb
For the first two, I don't care much for slugs. :) As for the last one, this is due to the fact that I use one file for all of the pages (index, posting, viewarticle, and MCP) and each page is its' own function.

tbackoff
Former Team Member

Post by tbackoff » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:06 pm

I think I'm going to leave it the way it currently is. I started changing it and the code required to check for permissions and edits and posts is just getting too complex. If an Administrator wants to approve their own article, by all means, have at it. :lol:

EDIT: david63, all of the issues you reported are fixed with the exception of preview and log entries on install.

SIDE NOTE: is there interest in having a log entry added for when a moderator performs an action on an article?

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:33 pm

tmbackoff wrote:SIDE NOTE: is there interest in having a log entry added for when a moderator performs an action on an article?
It should follow the same rules as posts - if a Moderator edits, deletes, approves an article then it should go in the Moderator log.
tmbackoff wrote:EDIT: david63, all of the issues you reported are fixed with the exception of preview and log entries on install.
I'll have look tomorrow - it's getting late on this side of the pond ;)
David

david63

Post by david63 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:03 am

tmbackoff wrote:
I think I'm going to leave it the way it currently is. I started changing it and the code required to check for permissions and edits and posts is just getting too complex. If an Administrator wants to approve their own article, by all means, have at it. :lol:
Could another way be to have another permission - KB articles need approval ?
tmbackoff wrote:EDIT: david63, all of the issues you reported are fixed with the exception of preview and log entries on install.
Yes - all looks OK
David

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: [ABD] phpBB Knowledge Base

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the extension author has not been active recently. If the Extension author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the Extensions Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this Extension, or any other extension that is marked as “abandoned” or “in development”, on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extensions Team
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”