[ABD] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
ViolaF

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by ViolaF »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:from your alter ego
what is an "alter ego"? :?

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by JoshyPHP »

Please stay out of this thread, ViolaF. If you have questions for Lumpy, use private messaging.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.3.

Trout Anglers NW

Post by Trout Anglers NW »

Can someone please lead-me-by-the-hand with this?

I downloaded s9e-mediaembed to my desktop, extracted the 'ext' file, merged with the exisiting ext file via FTP.

Now I'm lost. I can't find this file in my ACP let alone how to add it. Help please, thank you kindly.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Now you go to the ACP and enable the extension in the "Customise" tab. And then you're done. There's no configuration, you just post links and they become videos.

Trout Anglers NW

Thank you, and I understand. The problem i see now is that the extension does not show as an option like your screen shot shows. Perhaps it didn't merge properly when uploaded with the FTP???

Thanks kindly for your help.
Last edited by Trout Anglers NW on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

You might have uploaded the extension to the wrong dir. When you unzip the archive you have a ext dir that contains a s9e dir. Look into your webserver via FTP and make sure you have the same thing there: the root of the forum (probably called phpBB I guess) contains files like faq.php and cron.php and a directory ext which should contain a directory s9e.

NOTE: as of 20141203 the archive now contains the s9e directory without the ext directory. It should be unzipped in your forum's ext directory.

Trout Anglers NW

I had the correct directory, I just dumped the whole s9e folder in there instead of opening that folder and finding the ext folder. I deleted the s9e folder and uploaded the ext folder and now I do have the extension showing as you showed with your screen shot.

I enabled the extension and tested by copy & pasting a YouTube address into a posting text window. I do not get an embed of the player, just a live link back to the video on the Youtube site???
Last edited by Trout Anglers NW on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

What's the URL you tried?

Also, you don't have to quote the post right above yours, it makes the topic harder to read.

Trout Anglers NW

Okay sorry about the quote.

The URl I used for sample is, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9iSqaibR4I

Bye the way, my board is version 3.1.1

Apologize for the ignorance, I'm new at this.

Trout Anglers NW
http://www.troutanglersnwforum,com

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

I've just tried on a new installation of phpBB 3.1.2 without any issue. Double check that the extension is enabled and try other URLs (from other sites, e.g. Twitter) or perhaps even another browser.

Trout Anglers NW

I do appreciate the help, but the extension is not working for me.

I completely removed all s9e files that I had uploaded last night to my server. Next, I trashed the s9e download off my computer. Next, I re-downloaded s9e back to my computer and unzipped it. As you described above, I now had a folder named, 's9e' instead of 'ext'.

Next, I uploaded the 's9e' folder into, 'public_html/ext'. Next I located the new extension through my ACP and enabled it.

Next, I 'copy & paste' a YouTube address onto the test window of a 'new Topic'. The YouTube player does not appear, but instead an active text link appears which directs to the chosen video on the YouTube site.

What am I doing wrong with this???

Thanks you.

Nully

Post by Nully »

Trout Anglers NW wrote: Next, I uploaded the 's9e' folder into, 'public_html/ext'.
I don't know what is public-html.
I have a folder named ext, which is after folder "download" and before "files".
Inside folder "ext", I have folder named "s9e" and inside "s9e" there is "mediambed".

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

You may have an extra folder uploaded to your server.

The path should be: YourForum/ext/s9e/mediaembed

And inside that last mediaembed folder you should have the files etc, composer, ext.php, licence, readme, and the folders config, event, vendor.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

thoomas

Post by thoomas »

Trout Anglers NW wrote: Next, I 'copy & paste' a YouTube address onto the test window of a 'new Topic'. The YouTube player does not appear, but instead an active text link appears which directs to the chosen video on the YouTube site.

What am I doing wrong with this???

Thanks you.
what error it gives you when you try to preview the post with youtube link inside?

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”