[ABD] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by JoshyPHP » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:34 pm

There's a number of limitations that apply to extensions in the CDB that I have a hard time working out. Most notably, the extension contains more than a dozen files that have been bundled together for ease-of-use and performance; As it turns out, the extension validator script doesn't like that. Those files are needed in 3.1, but they won't be needed in 3.2. Once I ditch 3.1 support it'll be easier to comply with that limitation.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2.

sploinker

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by sploinker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Great extension! My forum uses a lot of xboxclips and it seems to be broken. Everything else I have tested (youtube, twitter) seems to be working fine. I can simply drop the link to the item in the post and it renders. However, xboxclips regardless of what link I use fails. I even tried the example link.

For example:

Code: Select all

http://xboxclips.com/Spl0inker/screenshots/ab54bfa2-b1c8-444f-94da-466b8283ffb9

http://xboxclips.com/Spl0inker/ab54bfa2-b1c8-444f-94da-466b8283ffb9
Both of those fail. The only way I can get them to post is to right click on the image and copy the properties and then use the image tag. This results in a xboxlive link and not a xboxclips link.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for a great extension!

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:08 pm

sploinker wrote:Both of those fail. The only way I can get them to post is to right click on the image and copy the properties and then use the image tag.
Yeah, I didn't know that XboxClips could display screenshots too. The extension is focused on media that could not be embedded otherwise, that's why I recommend using an [img] tag for static screenshots. I'll update the extension to ignore /screenshots/ URLs.

sploinker

Post by sploinker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Will do, thanks!

DueLearner

Post by DueLearner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:02 pm

JoshyPHP wrote:.
JoshyPHP,

I have been using your extension on my live forum (with about 30 users) and it's done great for the last month. One thing I noticed is that the automatic embedding of the media does not work when places inside of a [spoiler] or [spoil] tag. Is there any plan to fix this?

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 pm

The extension will replace any URL that phpBB automatically turns into links. As such, it depends on phpBB's algorithm. There are some situations where phpBB will not linkify a URL; Those won't be embedded and I can't fix it on my side. I've seen people add some characters around URLs as a workaround, e.g.

Code: Select all

[spoiler]. http://example.org .[/spoiler]
For what it's worth, it works better in 3.2.

YOUAREtehSCENE

Post by YOUAREtehSCENE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:16 am

I'd love to see this extension come to light. right now i had to actually go to my admin panel and create a button called 'youtube'

This is what I have to do if I want to add a video to one of my posts. I have to click SHARE on the youtube site, and copy this short URL https://youtu.be/wNNlDsWwl8k highlight that link and click youtube button. and it will show to others and will be able to play.

I would rather just copy and paste the main url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNNlDsWwl8k

Note: both links are to the same youtube videos.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm

@YOUAREtehSCENE You can use this extension right now. Install it and you'll be able to post either YouTube URL and they'll get embedded.

Shazzaky

Post by Shazzaky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:09 pm

Amazon links not work properly for me: they just create a black space.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 pm

That's probably because your adblocker is blocking them.

Hawkaida
Name: Hawkaida

Post by Hawkaida » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:11 am

This plugin works great! However, I found there are 2 different links provided by some sites, and only 1 of them works some times. In my case, it was for plays.tv. The link from my plays.tv account website didn't work, however, the link from the plays.tv app worked great!

Great job, and thanks! :D

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:17 am

Hawkaida wrote:The link from my plays.tv account website didn't work
If you post it, there's a chance it'll be supported in a future update.

SalazarAG

Post by SalazarAG » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 am

Possibility of future support videos of globo.com?

Globo.com is a very famous portal in Brazil, it would be great to have him on extension

Link http://www.globo.com/

or globoplay http://globoplay.globo.com/v/5180669/
I'm sorry for my English. Google Translator does a bad job. :D

harris1

Post by harris1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Awesome thanks
It is working perfect with 3.1.9 !

Thanks again.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”