[ABD] @Mention System

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Wolfsblvt

Re: [DEV] @Mention System

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 pm

PayBas wrote:If you manage to pull this off (without making the boards significantly slower) I feel this will quickly become one of the most popular extensions for 3.1.x ;).
Don't underestimate The portal, bbcode box or some other extensions wich are very popular.
But yes, you may be right :oops:
I hope it will :P

But his will stay in development for quite a long time. There is much improvement that can be done. This was just the first try to let you see how it could work.
I am thinking of different ways to make it a lot faster, I have talked to some people with great ideas, and we will see where it will leads to.

Probably I'll come up with a solution where you can decide between performance and consistent data if disabling the extension. That would be a choice every board administrator has to take then. Most will do the last I would guess, but I want to keep the option.
(If interested what I mean take a look at a stackoverflow question of mine.

Maybe I can even get some other developers to give me a few tips if they've seen something (like it already happened).

So yeah, a lot to do, but it'll be worth it :P
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Ah...OK. I had the extension running obviously, but I didn't have it linking usernames, didn't realise that was needed for the runtime thing.

This is what I actually get, seems to be errors in there too.
Runtime of function (100x): 0 seconds. Average: 0 seconds.
Runtime of function (100x): 2 seconds. Average: 0.02 seconds.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/ext/wolfsblvt/mentions/core/parser.php:140)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/ext/wolfsblvt/mentions/core/parser.php:140)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

TheStigP11GT

Post by TheStigP11GT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I agree, i am very intrigued with using this modification (Although I have had to disable it as it is far too slow :-( ) but I will be keeping up to date with updates and hope to see improvements.

Also would be good to add a Hash tag option to it also, and have a page for trending hash tag keywords.

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Volksdevil wrote:Ah...OK. I had the extension running obviously, but I didn't have it linking usernames, didn't realise that was needed for the runtime thing.

This is what I actually get, seems to be errors in there too.
The errors are because this method of outputting stuff is generally not allowed and wrong :P
Thank you. Are in that thread any mentions?
So yeah, one proof more that parsing isn't really the problem with the perfomance of this extension, something other is.
TheStigP11GT wrote:Also would be good to add a Hash tag option to it also, and have a page for trending hash tag keywords.
I had that idea too when working with the autocomplete feature.
But this is something that I will not include in this extension. I'll do another one for that later.

Ah, and guys, on wich this extension is very slow, have you tried increasing the number of posts being required to be mentioned?
If you increase it, and it will match significantly less users, it may also increase the performance. It is for for example recommended to get above all tose inactive users with just a few or even no posts.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:01 pm

I think there is another ext dealing with hash-tags, and the author is thinking about adding @mentions. ;)

TheStigP11GT

Post by TheStigP11GT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:03 pm

That made a huge difference:

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote: Thank you. Are in that thread any mentions?
So yeah, one proof more that parsing isn't really the problem with the perfomance of this extension, something other is.
Just three mentions :oops: and I don't have thousands of users....yet! :)

These are my settings. For the test I also had the options: 4 and 5 enabled. NOTE: I have posts needed set to 1 so that all inactive users aren't included. For me simply the @ mention, autocomplete, and topic posters on top are the best features.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Holger wrote:I think there is another ext dealing with hash-tags, and the author is thinking about adding @mentions. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2293756

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Holger wrote:I think there is another ext dealing with hash-tags, and the author is thinking about adding @mentions. ;)
Yeah, I've seen it as well.
But if this one no goes in the direction of #hashtags and mine is just about @mention, there isn't even a conflict with two extensions doing the same :D
TheStigP11GT wrote:That made a huge difference:

Meaning that it is much faster, or that it even isn't fellable slower anymore?
But good to hear! This means if I'll reduce the load that is done while getting the complete user list, it will also improve the performance on total.
Volksdevil wrote:Just three mentions :oops: and I don't have thousands of users....yet! :)

These are my settings. For the test I also had the options: 4 and 5 enabled. NOTE: I have posts needed set to 1 so that all inactive users aren't included. For me simply the @ mention, autocomplete, and topic posters on top are the best features.
Sounds good though. I would say this is the normal szenario. It shouldn't happen to often that someone mentions hundreds of users :P

TheStigP11GT

Post by TheStigP11GT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Yeah, the site is pretty much the same load time with using those settings, there are a lot of 0 + 1 posters on the forum, so setting it to 5 made a huge difference.

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Okay, new post so that everone sees it.

Question to all:
What would you say about an ACP option wich would make the mentions in the post text permanently parsed? So they will be kinda "converted" into the username mention.
This would speed up the loading extremely, but it will also have two "bad" things:
  1. If the username changes, in old posts it will be still the old username. I think this wouldn't be a big problem though. Same is for quotes in the current system, so nothing different
  2. The post you wrote will be altered for save in the database. This means it's not the exact data you wrote wich will be stored. I will of course find a way to handle it, but on extension disable, there may be something that will still stay in the database. (Can't search thousands of posts for possible replaces..)
But as an option, for big boards, then there will be only one thing where it is maybe a bit slower: When sending the post. It has to be parsed there of course. But with the things in my mind it will even speed up there.
Last edited by Wolfsblvt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:35 pm

TheStigP11GT wrote:Yeah, the site is pretty much the same load time with using those settings, there are a lot of 0 + 1 posters on the forum, so setting it to 5 made a huge difference.
Great to hear. This is why I would recommend at least using "1" there. Why would you even want to mention someone who hasn't posted yet?
I thought I had set the default value for this setting to 1, but I kinda missed it :(

Would you think it would be good to increase the default value when first installing this extension to 1, and also write the explain text a bit different, so that the problem with low number there is explained well?

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote:Question to all:
What would you say about an ACP option wich would make the mentions in the post text permanently parsed? So they will be kinda "converted" into the username mention.
Good solution!

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote:there may be something that will still stay in the database
There is a precedent for that behaviour with Advanced BBcode
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:55 pm

david63 wrote:There is a precedent for that behaviour with Advanced BBcode
That doesn't mean that I should do similar dirt stuff that others already do :P
But yeah, I would find a way to make it best as possible. I even have some ideas.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”