[ABD] hanelyp fancy dice

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Shepskii

Re: [dev]hanelyp/fancydice

Post by Shepskii » Sat May 02, 2015 5:34 am

Happy to try the older version - not sure where/how to download it from github though?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp » Sat May 02, 2015 1:14 pm

The current code has improvements I'm not ready to give up on. One of the changes from the version koraldon reports to work is a random seed that doesn't change if you reload a preview. A side effect of that was a larger seed range. I got the idea that may be hitting a bug in php5.4, in which case the code I just uploaded may fix it.

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sat May 02, 2015 5:20 pm

WOW - The fix seems to work :) getting random results now, not sure if it has a good bell curve, but at least the numbers change from roll to roll
Excellent!
Just to make sure the following seed:
[dice seed=19413 secure=e68edb7d]3d6[/dice]
results in 2,6,4 total 12

btw, I don't see the invalid text appearing after I edit the message but that is a small issue.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp » Sat May 02, 2015 8:35 pm

That looks like a valid roll. This extension should only flag "invalid" if there's a mismatch between the seed, spec, secure code, and an install specific secret. Editing a post to add rolls is permitted.

Shepskii

Post by Shepskii » Sat May 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Looking good here too, any new rolls I've entered since updating the extension have come back with varied results.

Great work!

New question, would it be possible to define custom values to dice in cases where images are being used? For example, I'm using dice for the FFG Star Wars RPG which are image based rather than numeric so when a roll is made, the total function currently serves no purpose and the output can look a little cluttered:

Certain results cancel out others though (and blank results are of course discarded) so it is possible to obtain a total but it would need the option to configure values alongside the images in order to do so. Which would also mean the output would have to use the values to select the correct images for the result.

It's by no means a show stopper - a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have' but I figure it's best to ask now while things are in development :)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp » Sun May 03, 2015 3:27 pm

The text value dice, including images, have no provision for a value that can be added. If the value is anything but a number it's meaning is opaque to the code. If your board uses them for most rolls you can remove the total from display in the ACP.

I have an idea in mind for direct support of images and addition of character tokens, but it'll probably wait for version 1.1.

Shepskii

Post by Shepskii » Sun May 03, 2015 8:47 pm

No worries, I can work with that for sure. As I say, figured it's easier to ask while things are in development rather than after release etc.

Thanks again :)

hanelyp

Re: [BETA] hanelyp fancy dice

Post by hanelyp » Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Added tags to presentation config:
{COUNT} : order in which dice were added to a post.
{SUM} : just the numeric sum. Use instead of total if the {DICE} tag is also used.

Upgraded bbcode pattern match and fixed an edge case. Hit the dice bbcode reset in ACP.

Formally pushed version to BETA.

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Wed May 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Beta is great news, will test it later and hope to officially launch it on the forums next week or so.
btw, new version checker (the json file) still doesn't work in the ACP.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp » Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Version checker doesn't appear to work with the github hosting I'm using. An https issue.

Shepskii

Post by Shepskii » Wed May 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Fantastic!

I'll be updating my board once I've completed the upgrade to 3.1.4. Will advise of any issues we find :)

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sat May 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Installed 0.9.0 on phpbb 3.1.4 and working great :)
One final request/question before going live with it on my board - If I disable the extension, all the topics with dice rolls are responding with server error.
Is it possible to modify this, so the topics will still load just without dice results?
so if in the future (my board exists for 12 years + ) a new phpbb upgrade breaks it, and you are unavailable, that I won't get errors all over the board.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp » Sat May 09, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm thinking the part where rolls break the board if the extension is disabled is the bbcode record calling the extension. I think that can be remedied by altering the bbcode record when the extension is disabled. I need to look into how that works.

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 pm

So basically if I will delete the dice bbcode I will be able to disable the extension in the future and all will be fine ?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp » Sun May 10, 2015 3:16 pm

koraldon wrote:So basically if I will delete the dice bbcode I will be able to disable the extension in the future and all will be fine ?
I believe that to be the case. I'll be testing that to be certain.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”